Jesse James

Hey Bruce!! I get up at 1am because I can't sleep for the projects running through my head. Start surfing the net and find you posting that I am stubborn!!! LOL!!!!! :lol: That's actually one of the nicer things said about me and my work on damascus gun barrels.

I'm building a pistol right now, that will have damascus barrel. The barrel is a .45 cal octagon. The pattern in this barrel is one of the patterns that was used on old damascus shotguns. It's called Bernard pattern. The billet was 81 steel rods, stacked in a 9x9 checkerboard. I don't think anyone has made this pattern since 1914.

The pistol is a side-lock percussion muzzleloader. Got the barrel finished and the beach plug installed and the standing breach fitted to it. I've just about got the lock built. The side-plate for the lock is some of the same damascus as I used to make the barrel. Still got to make the stock and assemble it. The wood for the stock, is some cherry that came from the site were George Washington grew up.

That movie of the guys welding a damascus gun barrel can be bought here. http://www.damascus-barrels.com/Movie.html Lots of other cool stuff on this site. This site belongs to Pete Mikalajunas. Pete got a copy of the movie from the Musée de la Vie Wallonne, in Belgium. They have another movie at the museum that they won't let Pete have.

Here is a link to another damascus gun barrel site. https://sites.google.com/a/damascusknowledge.com/www/home There are TONS of damascus gun barrel photos here. This site belongs to Dr. Drew

Steve, thanks for bringing back those links to the old school Damascus barrels. I had lost them.

"Stubborness" is a compliment in your case. I can't wait to see what you came up with on the latest attempt. Please give a peek here when you get a good picture of the pattern.

WoW is All I can say!

Thanks Bruce! This thing is never leaving my back pocket, except occasionally to stab someone and open boxes.
Such a Neat Knife!
Thank You
jesse

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 156
WoW is All I can say!

Thanks Bruce! This thing is never leaving my back pocket, except occasionally to stab someone and open boxes.
Such a Neat Knife!
Thank You
jesse

Jesse, I'm glad you like it. Stabbing with that small blade might just make em mad! You need a bowie for that.

Hey, guys, thanks for the new posts that opened this up again. I don't remember seeing it before. Most enjoyable!!

Darn it Jesse, you beat me to this! I've been wanting to do exactly this project for about 10 years now, but hadn't been able to find anybody would could machine the frame. Tony Swatton was going to hook me up with you about 5 years ago when you were getting into forging, but somehow it didn't come together.

I'm glad to see that somebody has finally built my lifetime achievement project, even if it wasn't me!

That said, I have 10 years of thought and design for some seriously cool Damascus patterns for 1911 shapes if you want to collaborate on any more! :)

-d

I have really enjoyed following Jesse's work on facebook. In addition to being a phenomenally talented metal magician, I agree with a lot of the things he has to say. I hope to see him posting here as well. I'd like to pick his brain

Pope

Enjoyed your stuff over the years, but I was most blown away by the copper bike, your approach and dedication was inspiring. Copper takes a lot of heat! Freaking awesome!:s11798::rockon:

beyond sick!

the little touches like the revolver-cylinder look cut into the barrel and the reliefs in the trigger. no stone unturned on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that would be a show worth watching. How about a 911 cut and shoot?

Now that's an awesome idea, I just don't know how you would make that in Black Powder version!
MAYBE Jesse and Bruce can team up and make it happen!
It would probably take a lot of engineering to put that together! Then again we are talking about the "Bumpster'! And the "POPEOFWELDING"!!!!
If there is a single person in the world that can make it happen, its BRUCE!....AND JESSE!!!!!!
RexM

Now that's an awesome idea, I just don't know how you would make that in Black Powder version!
MAYBE Jesse and Bruce can team up and make it happen!
It would probably take a lot of engineering to put that together! Then again we are talking about the "Bumpster'! And the "POPEOFWELDING"!!!!
If there is a single person in the world that can make it happen, its BRUCE!....AND JESSE!!!!!!
RexM

Thats a wild idea Rex. It could be done though, I would think a 1911 from Jesse with the right side scale as a removable fixed blade single edged push dagger. :)

See! I knew I had a good idea every once in a while!!!
Thanks Bruce! But to correct myself, I said if there was one person in the world, it would be the Bumpster and Jesse, well that's pretty much 2 , people!
Which if it can be done, seeing the 2 of you collaborating on a project together AND carrying us along with you with one of your epic WIP's!!!
I know, easy for me to say!!! But still, for the rest of us meer mortales, it would be AWESOME! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!
RexM

Looks pretty nice. Did you make it for momma? forged?
I like the traction grid in front of the scales. You sure those scales will stay on? I can't see fasteners.

I don't generally use a pinch grip but I can't say I've ever seen gimping on a blade and it looks like it would be petty useful. Kitchen knives are a great test of ergonomics, blade geometry, and steel treatment, partly because they actually get used and won't continue to be used unless they work well. This looks like a nice one.

Back