Jesse James

All I can say is. WOWEE that is outstanding . I remember when I was young , my Uncle had an old Damascus shotgun . No one liked them , because they would sometimes come apart
So as a result you don't see many Damascus firearms . This Pistol is a way different animal . The old barrels were twisted . Funny you don't see many old Damascus twist barrels anymore ?
I guess everyone made blades from them . ???........ Bubba

Jesse is this going to be on t.v.? I will get people to sign stuff to make this happen!! Shows like this should be on all the time so it can take over shows like jersey shore or the Kardasheins <sp? Thanks for posting!!

Jesse,
The Pilot videos are really cool! I watched them 3 times! Is a network going to run a season?

All I can say is. WOWEE that is outstanding . I remember when I was young , my Uncle had an old Damascus shotgun . No one liked them , because they would sometimes come apart
So as a result you don't see many Damascus firearms . This Pistol is a way different animal . The old barrels were twisted . Funny you don't see many old Damascus twist barrels anymore ?
I guess everyone made blades from them . ???........ Bubba
I have 2 old Damascus double barrel shot guns. A nice Parker and a beat up Buchannan both have good barrels and will still shoot with black powder or modern low base loads. The twist patens are different on each and unique to the maker. They aren't worth much money but they will never be for sale. To make barrels this old fashion method is almost a lost art form. There are very few people that can repeat the original methods.

Always good stuff to see here on Bruce's little corner of the net. I like that the billet is bent to flow with the handle. Is a slower, deeper etch an option on a firearm? The added texture would be cool.

Last edited:
I have 2 old Damascus double barrel shot guns. A nice Parker and a beat up Buchannan both have good barrels and will still shoot with black powder or modern low base loads. The twist patens are different on each and unique to the maker. They aren't worth much money but they will never be for sale. To make barrels this old fashion method is almost a lost art form. There are very few people that can repeat the original methods.

Bruce,
Remember that video I came across of the men in Belgium in the 1920's-30's forging the Damascus gun barrels in the old stone house? One guy was smoking a pipe as he forged his part of the forge line. I think everyone here would like to see that.

Did you save a link to that? I can't find it?

Bruce,
Remember that video I came across of the men in Belgium in the 1920's-30's forging the Damascus gun barrels in the old stone house? One guy was smoking a pipe as he forged his part of the forge line. I think everyone here would like to see that.

Did you save a link to that? I can't find it?
I watched that video several times before somebody took it off the web. Apparently it is protected. I do know Steve Culver has a paid copy of it. That one shows allot but leaves allot of unanswered questions too. Steve has been successful partly due to that one but mostly to his stubbornness to not give up.

That was a great video Lawrence. I have often wondered why someone has not sleeved a damascus barrel. Sort of like the 22lr liner midway sells

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=16982

The cut and shoot Steve Cutler did was awesome, I watched the video of him forging the barrel a couple times.

You just gave me a great idea for a desk cannon. I actually have several twist damascus double shot gun cut offs that were gifted to me from Doug Turnbull. They are original and in fine shape too. I want to sleeve one and slide another sleeve over it so most of the damascus is showing. The outer sleeve and be engraved and would have the pivots attached. Now to figure out the wheels and carriage and find time to make it.

I can picture it now. Bog oak or highly figured walnut for the carriage. Titanium anodized gold or blue would look cool for fittings. The outer band could be sweated on and silver soldered. I can dream up all kinds of stuff except for time, I can't find any myself.

Here's a tv pilot I made a little while back. Thought you guys would enjoy..

[video=youtube;Y_DTKASREEM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DTKASREEM[/video]

I've never had cable TV, but I've watched all your shows.
You've got a real eye for design and style.

The trigger cutouts add a nice subtle touch.

I loved that episode, especially the focus on the maker vs the host.
Fisk is a real hoot.

Hopefully this show gets picked up, you could be the Fred Dibnah of the US

Just found this and watched the pilot Jesse. I sure hope it gets picked up cause it would be great fun to watch. I love handmade craftsmanship as much as you do. And welcome to the knifemaking community, great bunch of people as you already discovered.

Great to have ya here on KD. I always enjoy seeing your work and look forward to watchin your journey as a knife maker if you so choose to go down that rabbit hole!
Have fun and God Bless
Randy

Hey Bruce, Thanks for that tidbit. If you ever decide to sell the old one let me know ? I used to have a Fox "sterlingworth" in Damascus .

Came with an old leather case that allowed gun to be taken apart and stored separately . Looked like an elongated binocular case .

She was a real beauty . Unfortunately It was stolen during a burglary at my home some years ago. GRRR. I have not seen one like it since .

I was told sterlingworth normally don't come in Damascus . It was probably a custom piece.:sad:

Your firearms work is outstanding ... Have a good Christmas and New Years....... Bubba

Steve has been successful partly due to that one but mostly to his stubbornness to not give up.

Hey Bruce!! I get up at 1am because I can't sleep for the projects running through my head. Start surfing the net and find you posting that I am stubborn!!! LOL!!!!! :lol: That's actually one of the nicer things said about me and my work on damascus gun barrels.

I'm building a pistol right now, that will have damascus barrel. The barrel is a .45 cal octagon. The pattern in this barrel is one of the patterns that was used on old damascus shotguns. It's called Bernard pattern. The billet was 81 steel rods, stacked in a 9x9 checkerboard. I don't think anyone has made this pattern since 1914.

The pistol is a side-lock percussion muzzleloader. Got the barrel finished and the beach plug installed and the standing breach fitted to it. I've just about got the lock built. The side-plate for the lock is some of the same damascus as I used to make the barrel. Still got to make the stock and assemble it. The wood for the stock, is some cherry that came from the site were George Washington grew up.

That movie of the guys welding a damascus gun barrel can be bought here. http://www.damascus-barrels.com/Movie.html Lots of other cool stuff on this site. This site belongs to Pete Mikalajunas. Pete got a copy of the movie from the Musée de la Vie Wallonne, in Belgium. They have another movie at the museum that they won't let Pete have.

Here is a link to another damascus gun barrel site. https://sites.google.com/a/damascusknowledge.com/www/home There are TONS of damascus gun barrel photos here. This site belongs to Dr. Drew Hause.

Jesse,
Great job with the guns!! Jerry Fisk told me about your work. I've liked your FaceBook page and bookmarked your new web site, so I've seen a lot of the guns that you have built. The damascus 1911 is awesome! I built a lot of 1911s when I was doing gunsmithing. My carry gun is an Officer's model.
I'm sure that you had a great time working with Jerry! He's one of the nicest guys I know, and a hoot to be around!
Keep up the great work!!

Last edited:
Steve,
I thank you for bringing up that link to where folks can buy that great old time movie on forging for those to wish to purchase it, you will enjoy a real peek into Damascus barrel making about 100 years ago with a few stills in it showing the pattern(s) they are forging along with a manly cast of real old world men forging. One even smokes his pipe while in the forge line.

It looks like it was class film for the guild to use way back when. The time line on that link of steel and Damascus gun barrel evolution is quite informative especially since it ends with Steve making his first Damascus gun barrel!:35:

Jesse is not the only bike builder to show an interest in making knives or Damascus steel. Here are some pics of a couple of Bowies made by JT Nesbitt, former designer for Confederate Motorcycles and builder of some very cool automobiles. He's a multi-talented guy too...

Last edited:
Back