steel question

Yes, and I like mine a bit harder at 59-60.5. I find the edge starts to be chippy after that. I'm making smaller hunting sized knives, so I like the higher hardness. For a chopper or knife that might see batoning, 57-59 is correct.

using AKS 1080+, i have made paring knives that were tempered to Rc61-62. the steel is easy to work with and you get a blade that will take and hold a very fine edge.

1080+ is great steel. I use a lot of it. But..............it is not the same (or really close to) 1080. I wish Chuck would have never called it that. If you heat treat it like straight 1080, you won't make the most out of the steel.

1080+ is more like 5160 with a lot more carbon and a pinch of vanadium. It outperforms 1080 hands down.

Just want to make sure people aren't confusing the two.

You know that is exactly why I like to look on this site. People can help you out and it is awesome that knife makers from all around will answer question.
A friend had gotten some 1080 and I had not used it and he ask me and I did not know the question but told him that someone on knife dogs would know.
Thank you guys so much for this.

Percy

Back