Post Week 1 (Dec 1 -7) Knife Photo Contest Pictures here

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
This thread is for Week 1 (Dec 1 -7) Knife Photo Contest pictures here...

start your camera's...

I'll start things off if it's ok....since I've been working on this very subject this week.

This is a recent pic and test of a light tent I built from pvc and a white shower curtain. The light source was 2 500w halogen work lights and a small incandescent at the front, not pointed directly at the knife. I already have a little working knowledge of photoshop and touched this version up, unlike the original that you might have seen before here: http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?38934-better-pics-suggestions-welcome. I sharped the image and playing with the lighting a little to brighten it up. I also fixed a few small blemishes in the image. I hope you enjoy it....and I hope I got the dimensions and stuff right. I'll probably be playing with my skills here in the next few weeks and hope to get some more pics soon.

2014-11-16_22-13-14_416 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in. this pic was taken in a light box I bid on on ebay. got a pretty good deal on it, came with four lights and a carry case,
the knife is CPM-154 with stabilized maple burl bolsters and stabilized giraffe bone, nickel silver pins and lanyard hole.
the beetles came from the back yard, apparently these are what grubs turn into. every year at the same time they come out of the ground.
7780aecf.jpg

I took this photo in my lightbox I bought off of a kickstarter project I will try post info if anyone wants it.
The Ranger.jpg

I am new to knives and new to knife photography, I have done some food photos in the past, trying to see if I can get some of the basics to cross over,//was going for a softer look that really showed off the maple scales whithout being bold and in your face..

used a 75 watt bulb in a clamp on shop light bounced off some poster board over my right shoulder..... cell phone camera....

(if this is not allowed feel free to remove)
20141120_204210_1.jpg

Here's my Damascus Hunter photographed in natural sunlight with Iphone5
damascus hunter.jpg

Hi, I'm new around here and I keep seeing a message to join the contest so here is my entry:

This is my M1 Garand tribute knife. This was shot indoors with a 100W bulb in a drafting table lamp and ambient light.
m1web.jpg

Been working on this very subject myself,I have a new light box and just picked up a new camera.This was shot with a Canon PowerShot 500 set on manual.I have a clamp light overhead and one one each side.I used the front cover and shot through the zippered opening.

007_1.jpg

Tracy invited me to participate in the contest and share some of what I've learned about knife photography. IMHO, contests are the best way to learn. Like making knives, putting your work out there for others to judge lets you know where you are relative to where you want to be.

I submitted 27 times on another knife photography forum before I finally won. Along the way I got my feelings hurt, I got pissed off and it really irritated me that pros were submitting in the same contests as rank beginners like me back in 2002. I had to go through all of that and more before I finally got humble and learned to listen. What I found out is that every piece of feedback, every criticism and every random comment - even if it came from someone who knew nothing about photography or shooting knives - contained something important I needed to understand, something that would help me make better knife images.

It's easy to buy great gear and develop the skills necessary to use that gear. It just takes money and practice. But skills and gear alone won't make images that actually move people and stir their emotions. Capturing the passion behind the knife is where it's at. Learn to do that and your knife images will sell knives. If your goals are less ambitious and you just want to learn how to document your work, that's fine but you might want to consider paying a pro if you want to see your knives in magazines, books and choice on-line locations. The hard truth is that a bad knife image is worse for your business than no knife image at all.

I have also learned the importance of acknowledging my mentors, encouragers and worthy competitors - pro knife photographers who have become my friends over the years; Terrill Hoffman, Eric Eggly, Jim Cooper and Chuck Ward. Much respect and thanks from me.

My entry for this first week is a simple but strong image. Nothing fancy - no insets or detail views. It has the features I consider essential:
- a pleasing arrangement on an interesting background that doesn't distract from the knife
- optimal angle and perspective that captures the lines and 'flow' of a powerful and beautiful design, showing all the important features
- even lighting with no detail lost to shadows or over-exposed areas
- clear grind lines, bevel, clip, plunge cut etc.
- maker's mark easily seen
- good handle detail
- correct color with no color cast on the blade (when the blade picks up and reflects color from surrounding areas)
- knife 'pops' (meaning the main subject separates from the background giving depth to the image and drawing the viewer's attention to the knife)

I used two lights that I can easily move for best effect, white board reflectors to bounce light into areas that would otherwise have too much shadow and a tripod so I can shoot multiple exposures without movement and then blend those exposures to balance the different areas of the image along the light-dark spectrum. Editing is done in Photoshop.

orig.jpg

IMG_3727.jpgThis is a Bird and Trout , sorry for the logo I pushed a stencil a little to far.

Buddy, glad you made it over.

I laughed when you said it took 27 times to win a photo contest. I never counted but I think I might go back and look now. I think I may have taken longer.

Everybody, Buddy is a hobbiest gone a bit too far with a hobby. Buddy is an MD that takes things very seriously when he gets into it. He is an occasional pro photographer and has helped Jim Cooper shoot images at Blade. I'm not sure what his exact status is now. Buddy, if you are taking on photo jobs, let us know.

Last edited:
Thanks Tracy - These days I'm focusing (pun intended) on special projects like the Bowie Knife exhibition book published by the Historic Arkansas Museum in Little Rock and Dr. Jim Lucie's book, Scagel Handmade. I'm also developing a unique video format for high-end custom knives that takes the traditional 'knife photo' to a new level. This coming August will be my 6th year as photographer for the Denver Custom Knife Show. I've worked with Eric Eggly at Blade Show and filled in for him as a show photographer when he had a scheduling conflict. And, for the past few years I've enjoyed working with Jim Cooper as a member of his team at Blade Show. I shoot individual knives for makers and collectors by request, as time allows, but my main interest is special projects and transitioning still-image knife photography into a short video format. Also, I really enjoy sharing, teaching and helping others advance their knife photography skills. And... I'm not nearly as serious as I sound. :001_tt2:

natural light, concrete floor, simple camera & tools x2

10363533_631227990332729_1568767690197925656_n.jpg

I'll throw one in the ring :)

This was shot in a light tent with two "hot" lights.
Basically color corrected bulbs in reflectors.
(A photo of my "set" is in the thread announcing the contest)
The background is a sheet of leather like paper.
Camera (Rebel XSi) on a tripod.
EF50mm f1.4 USM lens
ISO 200

Oh… and the leather is my work :)

I thought I would give it a try. I find natural light works the best for me so I use a cloudy day. I have always liked a weathered board for a background. I find it adds a little contrast but it never over powers the knife. Even the black scales show up well. Thanks for the chance

DSCF7703.jpg

Doesn't hurt to try I guess. Taken in the shade outside. Light reflected off of shop door.

MVP#58b.jpg

Just found this.

Here's one I shot outside with my busted Fuji S1000. Set on auto mode and natural light with the queen moving around next to me to block light and me crouching over the knife to also block light. I know...not very scientific. What the heck are my neighbors always staring at over here ?

Did I win yet ?

Rudy

Back