Leather

bodam

OK, since I'm on my 6th or so completed knife, I really need to learn how to make simple sheaths for them, to get ready to sell or gift.

I'm probably going to go to Tandy this weekend and grab a starter tool kit.

Is there anything specific I should get? I really want to stamp patterns, etc.

Is there a specific type of leather I should be buying?

I know absolutely nothing about leatherworking at this point....

If you go to the Tandy store for the first time, you'll be shocked at the price of leather. At least I was. Tandy has an email list that they send out specials on all the time and last month I scored a beautiful double shoulder veg tan 8-9 oz for only 49.99+shipping. In the store, that same type was about $129-$150. Guy at store said they sold out of those fast! Here's one on their ad this week, might be a little on the thin side, you'll have to have the pros weigh in on that. I looked at some of these "craftsman" pieces in the store and they looked fine to me. Don't know if it'll work in every store, but the guy at the one I went to was able to match some ads and adjust prices a little, so you might try a little negotiating.
leather ad.jpg

Was going to put two pics on there, but forum won't let me edit last post, keeps giving me a "long running script" error then crashes IE. Anyway, here's the other ad.
leather ad.jpg

cool, thanks. I'm actually looking forward to trying leatherworking. And those sheaths in that video are just the style I like.

If you have a Tandy store nearby - you are in luck. I have always found good advice at Tandy. Unfortunately, it is a 2-2.5hour trip for me. Make sure to check on becoming a gold member. Youbuy a card and get a great discount on whatever you purchase. It morethan makes up for the price of the card if you plan on spending a few hundred dollars a year.

They have a starter kit that runs about $100.00. All the basic tools areincluded. Tandy will direct you in what is needed. They also offer directions or classes.

Also, for starters check out veg-tanned bellies. Much cheaper thanshoulders, double shoulders, etc. Hereis some basic information about leather from Tandy. You may find ithelpful.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/infoandservices/leatherguide/leatherguide.aspx
Here is another very good leather outlet. A little bit more than Tandy (cost-wise). Very good leather.
http://www.wickett-craig.com/Construction%20Page.html

DeMo

I would not get bellies. Yes they are cheaper but they are softer leather that offer less protection to the person.

you want a heavier solid piece of leather. You can wet and get them to form. They will also hold stamping better.

Double that on bellies. They're stretchy and tend not to hold shape as well. Stick with shoulders or sides and vegetable tanned only. Learn to make your basic sheath, both pouch and three piece, then try your hand at tooling and inlay. Check out the sheath making sites on some of the other sites too.

Doug

Get the basic 7 set and a couple of pattern stamps, medium basket weave and a border stamp, that you like. You will need a mallet and a cutting tool also. As has already been said stay away from bellies. They are the worst kind of leather to use. That's why they are cheap! If you have a granite counter top fabricator near you get a cut out from him to work on. You will need a cutting board also.

Start with pouch type sheaths. I use a lighter weight 6-7 oz leather for most of my work. It wet forms very nicely.

You will also need an awl, needles, Barge glue, and some waxed thread.

Remember YouTube is your friend, search leather sheaths on it.

Good luck with the next leg of your journey!

rps20140625_104842.jpg
My leather station as I was setting it up in the new shop. It can be just as addictive as knife making.

Got a complete set of tools today. Two types of basket stamps, two borders and a shoulder.

Wife is on board with leather work so that was painless.

Will probably get started on first sheath tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well we started our first attempt at making sheaths, and we not very successful. We run into a weird problem with the location of the belt strap. It gets all wonky when you make the fold.

We never really got far enough for stitching or final burnishing.

We have a whole new respect for fine leatherworking, lol.

Back