Looking for some steel to use as a hot punch

C Craft

I am looking for a piece of steel 10"-12" length X 1" Diameter, to make a hot punch out of anyone got any ideas. I need it to hot form some ferrules out of Wrought around. I have been told if I get the temp right I can punch the shape of the ferrule, only time will tell on that one!!!! But I am game to try if I can find the right steel rod to make a punch from!

I use to have a piece of front sway bar off of an old Monte Carlo we scraped for a race car body but gave the last away about a year ago. Not sure what kind of steel it was but it was tough and about the right diameter ~ that's what I get for giving it away I guess!:what!::biggrin:

Last edited:
I use mild steel drifts and punches for my hot work, even my hardy cutoff tool is mild steel. I find small punches loose their temper quickly when they are used on red hot steel. I would rather have a drift or hot punch bend than break when doing hot work.

Disclaimer I'm not a good blacksmith or bladesmith, just a redneck with a hammer.

Thanks Brad. I know what you mean about the bend and break thing!! I have had steel shiver/chips dug out a few times!!

S-7 is a steel used for punches etc, H-13 is a steel used in die cast molds for aluminum and magnesium parts, the molten metal is forced into the molds at around 1200 degrees farenheight. For what its worth, Dan

Mild or 1045 will work just fine as a hot punch. Are you going to try to make a one inch hole in wrought in one shot or are you going to make a small hole and stretch it out? How thick is the wrought you are using?

i would use H13, a hot work steel for punches and dies. it wont lose its temper till you get over 800F or so. we use it for most of the forging tools at the office, some we call bottom knock out pins are about the diameter you are looking for. pm with address and i will send a piece if you cover shipping

Last edited:
Back