Heat Treaters

I don't know where south Elgin is, but Peters Heat Treat is among the best in the business.

There's an Elgin, TX south of Austin. They make good sausage there. If that's the Elgin you're near, Texas Knifemaker Supply does heat treating. Peters is better, IMO.

Jeff is located in the Geographical Vortex known as ILL-EE-NOISE (Illinois).

The is the intergallactic center of the universe and the state where the last 5 Democratic Governors have gone to the penitentiary.

I know Jeff and if anyone is willing to heat small batches or singles, please give him a shout.

Thanks,
Steve

I am in the same seat as you, I am looking for someone that can do small quantity runs for a reasonable price so I don't lost so much damn money.

Did that place out of Elgin recently go out of business? I've been searching for an oven to buy and there was some place out of Texas that I tried contacting, it might've been Elgin or claerance, not quite sure.

I'd recommend moving to Elgin, TX then, lol

Truth.

And there's really no reason not to use Peter's unless you've got a very local place that you somehow prefer. I live 10 min from Texas Knife Supply, and I still use Peter's except for one offs that I do myself.

I'm a small time maker in San Diego, CA but ship my stuff all the way across the country to Peter's Heat Treat. I'd call or email them to get specifics and quoted info from them but this is what I've experience with them.
http://www.petersheattreat.com/ - The customer service is GREAT and turn around time is reasonable.

1 blade is $25 each
if you do multiples you'll pay the per blade price up to a batch quantity.

Batches are up to 20 pieces and cost $110

so if you're doing 1-4 blades you'll pay $25 each but more than that you'll start saving money as your quantities go up to 20 blades. More than that, I can't attest to.

They do great work and I've never had a problem with them on the batches of 440c I've gotten back and they have all been great.

NOTE: You will have additional shipping costs for the return shipping to you. I package my stuff in the USPS flat rate boxes as going cross country is costly. I tape the crap out of them too just to make sure the box doesn't get damaged and I lose anything.

I've been talking with Certified Metal Craft in San Diego here. They used to do a lot of work with Buck and some others I know that are local veterans in the knife community have recommended them as well. They have the capability of doing higher quantity batches at a reasonable price but at this point, Peters Heat Treat is cheaper for me (even with shipping).

Hope this helps.

Jeff, click on link for heat treating services.

http://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/heat-treating/

I've use Buck knives Paul Bos heat Treating for 19 years. Other's are good and even great.

Paul Bos helped write a lot of the recipes for HTment for the stainless steels to be used in the custom knife industry. They have big Money $$$$ in equipment and that's all they do in that department. You get Cryo and a triple hardness testing so its right at the RC you requested.

Paul Bos himself is retired but still consults with new steels and such and a friendly and professional man named Paul Farner run's it now and has always returned my calls and answered my questions promptly. I just had a batch of Culinary & hunter blades of AEB-L stainless water jetted and Paul said it will handle an RC or 6-61 so that's I had him do.. I can't wait to try my designs with this steel! I will have a knife or two finished by the end of the week.

Back