Stencils?

bodam

Looking for info on getting stencils made for a maker's mark. I've contacted TUS, but wanted some other options.

I've tried to contact Lectroetch, but they won't respond.

Any other stencil makers out there that have proven track records?

I tried TUS, but they had issues with font.

I contacted Ernie last night, and he just sent me a version of a mark. I'm gonna see if we can work something out.

I contacted at least 3 vendors and only Ernie helped me out. TUS refused to use the font that I found, and Electro never returned a call. Ernie jumped right on my design and made it happen. I can't wait to get his stencil in my hands. Hopefully today so I can start practicing this weekend.

I've designed logos and maker's marks for many Knife Dogs and recommend Ernie. I've never had anyone say they had any trouble with him using my artwork. I've only had one person say they had any issues with the stencils themselves.

One more vote for Ernie. He bent over backwards for me and was patient with my inexperience. Stencils turned out great, just like I wanted.

I have a rookie question about stencils since, I am currently engraving my makers mark on each one by hand and fear the dreaded oops.
What is the average for a no frills stencil and etcher combined?

150 bucks will get you a Personalizer (not the Plus)

plenty of guys make them from scratch. if you're experienced with electronics and soldering it shouldn't be very tough.

Ernie has plans on his site if i recall.

http://www.erniesknives.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have an old automotive battery trickle-charger around, do you Walt? -like say a 10 amp? That's what I used after making a few changes to get both AC and DC current out of it. But, some of the newer ones have circuitry in them that won't allow current flow until hooked up to a battery. Those don't convert well to an etcher (at least Ernie and I couldn't come up with an easy way to use them). I had the charger, and hardly ever used it, so it didn't cost much to get an etcher going. It seems to work very well- nice deep and sharp results. I think (if I remember correctly), I spent about $50 - $60 on stencils- enough to last me a long time.
Bill

I've been thinking about trying to use an old PC power supply to make an etcher. I don't know about all of them, but I'm fairly certain that at least the one I've been saving for some sort of project is actually labeled for voltage, polarity, and amperage as well. Not as nice as bein able to turn a dial or flip a switch as it might be to change leads, but I know I could set up a couple ways to make for quick switching between what I would commonly need.

Back