Question on heat treating prep?

ome

Hi Guys,
I am a newbie and got my first chunk of h13 hardened and triple temper professionally.
The color changed from silver to almost black with a small patch that had been sanded back to the bare metal.
Tested and is average 54.1 RC.
My question is :
what is the black color ?
do I need to sand it off, and how?
Do I radius the corners before or after hardening?
Thanks,
Jon

I'm not sure, but when I get my 440c back, it's black.

You need to sand it with the grit you left with before HT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is just scale from the heat treatment. The reason for the sanded part was to get a hardness test.
I normally sand to 400 grit before heat treatment and start back at 220 when finishing the hardened steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If by what you mean by a chunk of H13 is that it's your anvil, don't worry about it. It's nothing that is going to effect forging steel with. Maybe my block came to me heat treated because it came black too.

Doug

It would be easier before heat treating while it's still dead soft but it could still be done afterward. It would just take a little more time. Actually, I barely broke over the edges and corners of my block.

Doug

Thiên Thần Truyện mang đến sự trải nghiệm tuyệt vời nhất cho người chơi trong thế giới thần thoại 3D đẹp nhất từ trước đến nay. Với sự xuất hiện của các nhân vật quen thuộc như Zeus, Athena hay thuyền trưởng Jack Sparrow,... đem lại cho người chơi sự thích thú lạ thường.
Có ai đã từng chơi game này chưa , có thể cho mình link tai game đó không

Back