My new pup starter kit.

wall e

One of the old dogs on here has gifted this pup a starter kit of some new stock, some scraps and some blems, to give me a chance to try and use the same stuff as the big dogs.

b9bf453eba83f557311b10460b62f671.jpg

Thank you
J. Doyle for the help to try and use something new.

A heaping pile of cudos to J. Doyle and congrats to you Wall e.
:35:
A lot of us have sent out starter kits over the years, what better way to spread the insanity than curse someone else with it. You'll do it someday too. Now the pressure's on....with all that stuff, you should be able to make something comprable to the knife on the card.:what!::biggrin: Do him proud.

Rudy

Gonna try and create a good quality and eye appealing edc knife and mabbe try for a nice shiney pretty one like on the card. had this curse for a while collected and retipped knives just took the plunge into making

Grats! I didn't know a starter kit was a thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is when its a thing I appreciate and is a chance to see what I can do with actual blade intended steel not repurposed steel and handle materials.

J. Doyle, you're the best and Wall e, you're the best, too. Thank you for your service. I just love this place. We all come from different backgrounds but we all love this pursuit of excellence - knifemaking. I know of very few places, churches, lodges, companies, school systems, etc. where people care for each other without any expectation of something back. I've kept up with this thread and it makes me feel great. It lifts my soul.

Wallace

Thanks fellas. I have some ideas for a couple of blanks however the raw flat stock is a clean raw open creative slate.

For sure. I decided to check out another site and post a similar question to my tips for shining planer blade and had more people express to me that the steel was was more head ache than was worth then those who asked why or offered tips of how to like the fellows on here. Love the pack for this.

Just one current question, How much material do I leave so the blade doesnt warp or twist during heat treat?

I shoot for about .040" or so. About the thickness of a dime at the very edge. That will allow you to grind away some decarb and fix any slight warp.

And it makes it easier to sharpen after HT I find. When I leave too much, it makes a crappy edge, too thick with a weird sharp bevel.

Back