Stainless bolster on carbon steel

Black cat

Just a quick question. Im about to attempt my first pinned SS bolster. Im wondering if theres any issues with pinning stainless to a 1084 carbon blade ?
thanks.

No metallurgical issues I can think of. Lots of potential fit and finish issues though, lol. I'm sure there's a WIP or Tutorial on the process around here somewhere.

Ok metallurgical was the main concern. Fit and finish is my second thought. I was thinking of pinning the bolster to the carbon steel then buffing it all to a mirror finish. The only thing I can think of that could go wrong is it may show lines where the 1084 meets the the stainless. Im not sure... This is new ground for me. Ive been looking for a tutorial for a few days and cant seem to find much on this subject. I was planing on using the same stainless for pins as the bolster and tapering the pin holes. Possibly a little epoxy in there as well because im a little neurotic and have a thing for overkill lol.
generally speaking though does stainless on carbon work or do people generally avoid it ? The other option is single piece G10 scales but I wanted to try a new skill.

Hey Cat,
I think you will find that most bolsters are stainless steel whether they are on high carbon steel or stainless steel blades. I think your problems will be #1 - peening the ends of the pins well enough and deep enough to fill the entire pin hole in the bolster so the pin will not be visible after you grind and buff the bolster. #2 - you must finish the leading edge of the bolster completely before you pin and peen it into place. You just can't work on the leading edge of the bolster, that part next to the blade, after it is peened in place. Also, I think you will find that if you peen them correctly, glue will make little difference. if they are peened correctly you couldn't take it back apart if you wanted to. Good luck,

Wallace

The little bit of epoxy between bolster and tang isn't for mechanical, the pins provide all that's needed there. The epoxy is for sealing the bolster to tang so no moisture can seep in over time. In the past folks would silver solder the guards and bolsters to seal this area, and for strength also. I've read several knife makers who now use epoxy rather than soldering to seal.

Good luck.

Ken H>

Thanks for the link Jon! Thats something I can make use of. Ken thats something I was thinking as well the epoxy would help seal out moisture... Or thats what im hoping lol

Make sure that your bolster material and your pin material are the same. ..and a long cure epoxy

Back