do people fake knives

Mike k

do people fake popular knives for sale on ebay or other places online or is it a mater of selling a commercial reproduction as vintage WWII. I did see a vinyage WWII MK2 with what I found out was a commercial maker mark. Thanks Mike

you can be sure to find some fake vintage knives floating around the bay. In some cases contemporary makers will make accurate renditions of classical pieces, such as a WW2 MK2; one does not often call these fake though.

OH HECK YA! Ebay is full of fakes! I bought a 16c sword from China and it still had flashing on the brass fittings. I collect 16-18c swords from India and I am now seeing fake blades put on old hilts.
Be Carefull
Steve

Hi, I was just curious, I just can see how a person could make a fake unless they have the production facilities of the maker of the knife they want to produce. I know there is a lot of replicas made for the reenacting groups and once used can pass for original. They can also be dirtied up to look real. That is the main reason I stopped collecting web gear.

Many of the US WWII knives are Copied in china and sold as originals on Ebay etc.. You do have to know your stuff.

Also in the case of Camillus (and possibly Ka Bar) USMC MK-2 knives, they were made for both civilian and the govt. for decades past WW-2. So not all are WW-2 vintage. Utica knife company had a contract during WW-2 to make bayonets and the M3 knife. After the war they still had lots of surplus blades/parts and no contract. And they made marketed "WW-2 fighting knives" to the public that often show up on ebay. But they are post war, not military issue and thus in a sense fakes. Altho they are made of the same components as the real thing.

can you tell the difference between WWII and post war useing NOS. tHE BLADES WERE PROBABLY ALREADY MARKED UNLESS THEY WERE RAW BLANKS

There are some Fairbairn Sykes knives by Paul macdonald which I believe are genuine on eBay right now. I can't be 100% and won't speak for him, check with the man himself if you come across them.

I tried to sharpen a fake Benchmade folder for a guy that bought it off ebay, I couldn't even get a good edge on it because of the geometry of the blade grind. he said he originally sent it to benchmade to have it sharpened, they sent it back untouched claiming it was a fake. visually from a distance it looked real but looking at it closer, Benchmade was spelt wrong. and like I said the grind on the blade was a joke.
I didn't ask what he paid but he told me got burned pretty good.

yes,

I bought a few fake knives from china. Two were by a major brand, another was "supposedly" by a well known maker.
I suggest you buy straight from the source. Crooks are always good at they do, consumers always need to be one step
ahead, or very knowledgeable about what they're looking to buy.

Moral, keep your damn eyes peeled. You can never loose.

Back