154cm

buckaroo

I am getting ready to heat treating two blades that are 154cm. My question is can I double stack them in one stainless steel envelope?

I guess you could but you'll get a better quench with one blade per package in my opinion. A roll of foil is expensive but its actually dirt cheap on a per blade basis. Personally I would never put more than one blade per package but that's just me.

As Darrin says - one blade per foil pouch has been my method also. I've read of other putting multi blades in a single pouch, with one person saying he does 4 blades at a time. Myself, I like one blade per pouch allowing me to clamp between quench plates to help prevent warping.

Ken H>

Thanks for the reply Ken. I had read of people doing multiple blades per pouch. Wondered if it was a good idea.

Best way to think of it is cost. If it warps, it will cost you the time to fix it. If the heat treatment doesn't turn out how you like it, it will cost you time and will double your cost to retreat it. Enco has foil for about 1.25 per square foot with free shipping right now. (120 for 50' x 20" roll)

Is the risk worth it to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no problem if you have plates big enough to quench 2 blades aside...the foil can be one but you should not put the blades flat on flat, you need the flats contacting only the quench plates

Back