Help identifying an old knife.

Dennis Morland

KNIFE MAKER
I recently had this knife shipped to me for some assistance. The owner received this knife from his grandfather's estate. It has been in the family for as long as the recipient can remember (at least 40 years).

He would like to have the knife preserved and perhaps a mild restoration. He wants to keep it for his children/grandchildren.

Blade is 5 1/2 inches long
Handle is 4 inches long

It has a stacked leather handle with a little bit of brass and I presume bakelite for accents. Aluminum guard and butt cap. The butt cap is definitely an interesting shape. The tang is threaded. Inside the butt cap is a piece that appears to be threaded and attached to the tang.

I think a piece is missing from the butt cap that would cover the threaded tang. If you look closely at the butt cap you can see a round impression that was the piece that is missing. Perhaps a compass???? I do not know for sure.

The guard has one piece of leather that extends the entire length.

The leather handle is still soft - not dried out. He would very much like to keep this knife preserved and in the family.

Can anyone identify this knife and provide some background? To me it looks to be factory made. Very similar to an older Western type knife. Unfortunately - no markings are on the knife. None whatsever.

Here is what is needed. Any help is appreciated.

1. Identify the knife's maker or origin. Manufacturer?

2. Provide any background to assist in finding more information on the knife.

3. Provide names/contacts/websites of anyone you think can assist to identify the knife.

4. Provide names or contacts of anyone that can do a mild restoration to help preserve this knife.

In advance - thank you for any assistance that you can provide.

DeMo

DSC04206.jpg

DSC04207.jpg

DSC04208.jpg

DSC04209.jpg

DSC04210.jpg

DSC04211.jpg

DSC04212.jpg

DSC04213.jpg

DSC04214.jpg

Possibly a Marbles knife? I would try to find old catalogs or pictures on collector sites to see if you can match it up? There were many companies that made knives like this from about 1900 on

I am entitled to be entirely wrong on the following...

the good news and bad news is the knife isn't worth a lot. These were fairly common and mass produced by several manufactures. I have no idea who made that one. It's curious there is no makers mark visible which makes it less likely to have much worth past 20 bucks.

The bad news is it isn't that collectable so it's not that valuable. These can be found at most any flea market for $5 to $20 depending on condition.

The good news is it can be cleaned up and brightened up with out damaging an expensive collectable. (most collectors will shy away from a restored knife, really killing the value)

Clean it with a bristle brush, soap and water. Try not to soak the leather. Just clean up the guard, pommel, blade. Don't try to dissemble it or you will need new leather and some work (or a replacement) on the pommel nut as it appears corroded solid.

Grab some 120 grit and 240 grit (maybe even some 400grit) sand paper and start sanding out the grit/grime/nicks. You won't get them all out. Just most of them. Leave a few as they will be too deep to get out. The guard and pommel appear to be aluminum. You can make it shine but a brushed or satin finish might be more "correct" for this type knife. The steel won't shine but you can get it to a decent satin finish. Again, you'll have some nicks here and there.

The leather still looks to be OK. Sand it smooth and then give it a light coat of Neets Foot oil and wipe off the excess. Too much oil on old leather will rot it away. Same with the sheath.

Give a final coat of hard furniture wax and buff it off. Again by hand or with a machine.

anyone feel free disagree and jump in. I do like to see these old knives have another life...

Like Boss said several companies were making similar about that time period. Here is on by case!
_POR4007b_small.jpg

There are two that look very similar to the one you posted towards the bottom right in this pic!
I am thinking the finger indents were ground into that one a long time ago, MHO!

StackedLeatherKnives028.jpg
Here is something that looks like it by another maker! It is supposed to be 1952 vintage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Vintag...088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4188d09848
$_12.JPG

Take a look at this ebay search!
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=15&_nkw=vintage+western+hunting+knives&_frs=1

I also remember some by this company,solingen !
[url]https://www.google.com/search?q=german+made+stacked+leather+knife+from+solingen&client=firefox-a&hs=vob&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=fflb&biw=1419&bih=758&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=-SA_VP_cDJWiyATK1oCADA&ved=0CC4QsAQ

[/URL]

Last edited:
Like boss says, a knife like that can be made to look good and be a nice user. It could possibly be disassembled if grind a slot in a straight bit to match the notches in pommel nut and use some kroil or other rust breaking oil and easy pressure. This is good way to completely refinish blade and also treat rust under the handle material. And as said, it is good time to replace handle with new leather washers, if want to.

Update 10/31- Demo had me restore the knife and pics are shown here. It is a Kinfolks knife, a company formed in 1926 by 3 Case cousins, and run by Dean Case until it's selling in 1957. It looks to be an early version, probably late twenties or early-mid thirties, as the on line catalogs post 1938 do not show this knife or logo style. They sold for 2.50 to 3.50 and could buy them in packs of 6 knives. They made many styles of knifes and razors and M3 and M4 bayonets in WWII. You can see the similarities to Case knives in the fiber spacer extending to bottom of guard, like the picture in post above.
These knives are collectable and there are websites dedicated to them. Here is best one I found and history of it is interesting.http://kinfolksinc.com/mission.htm
On the restoration, I removed pommel nut and butt and added a leather washer as spacers had dried and shrunk so much it would no longer tighten. The leather spacer were tight on tang so I left them be on there. Then hand sanded the blade to 600, and smoothed and polished handle, and gave it a razor edge. The sheath needed two new brass rivets and restitching due to lack of a welt allowing blade to cut thread. Was able to clean and treat leather well with it apart. Not sure what steel they used but they advertised "high carbon chrome vanadium" steel in old catalogs and seemed to sharpen well so I like the knife and hope Demo's friend is happy with it.

Last edited:
Back