440C Fingerhole Protos

Ausbrooks

KNIFE MAKER
Finished a couple of prototype knives using 440C blanks which have a .900 hole and handle cut but rest bar stock (first pic) to see if could come up with some satisfactory designs, as not big fan of fingerhole knives but kind of like way these came out and wondered what others thought so let er rip on these if have an opinion on hole knife designs.
Specs: .225 thick 440C RC60, gut hook has 7.5 in blade w. micarta and ss corby's and hunter 6 in. blade, cocobolo scales, ss pins, buffalo spacer and ss bolsters ss pinned, imi-gator sheath. Thanks for lookin' and all comments welcome. Paul

I looked at this post a while back and wasn't sure how I felt about the hole. Tonight I see that no one has commented yet so I want to give it a go since I appreciate your comments. IMHO if the hole could be moved back by extending the ricasso it would be an asset when using the gut hook in a "blade up" grip. My other thought on these knives is if the handles didn't have deep finger grooves it would allow for a larger variety of grips. When skinning and gutting I usually make cuts when the game is on the ground and hanging which puts the knife in a few different positions in my hand so three or four finger slots on a skinner is not for me. By just seeing pictures and not holding them, I am only taking my best guess. What I can see for sure is that your work is sharp looking especially the file work and mirror finish.

Finger hole or not...you have got "pretty" down for sure. I'm not a fan of the hole, but then holes probably dont care much for me either.
I'll give you an A+ for shiny.

Thanks a lot Matt and Eric. Matt yeah the finger grooves are a little deep for reverse handling. On the gut hook I heated the grip frame and collapsed it so it would be shallower- that's why they look different. I agree that this style is not as versatile as would like because of the grooves but still feels pretty good in hand.
Eric- agree not big hole fan but I have 100+ of these blanks so may have to chop handles off some so can make a more versatile knife design out of some.

Great idea Matt- I could have a dual knife rig made up and practice a double draw move...I'm doing it...

The fit and finish are excellent, I have a phobia about having my finger stuck in and full round hole on a knife. I like the idea of being able to get all of my digits out and off of the blade at anytime just in case.

That said, many like and buy ring knives and Matt's suggestion of maker a few with a quick draw spinning balance in mind is a good one! I would have an X double sheath that rests in the small of your back made and a few other cross draw configurations. They Look great for show and to those wannabes cowboy film stars at the risk of being a little offensive.

If you do remove a few of the finger notches just make the handle thicker in the palm swell if you feel the handle is then a little short. Or you could grind them to a Through stick tang and put a full block handle on a set? If you have over a 100 of these blanks cut you can experiment with a few!

Aside from the hole, they cetainly have nice flow. Although I understand the concept, the hole belongs on a "tactical" maybe. It certainly can't hurt to keep a couple on the table for show, there's a posterior for every seat. I can remember maybe 15-20 years ago some makers were punching holes in their blades, radiusing the edges and peening brass or bronze into the hole. After polishing, some were engraved or had a logo on that spot. Just an idea. At least you're doing something. Nice work as usual.

Rudy

Thanks Laurence and Rudy for the input- Yeah Laurence I didn't think of that aspect that it could hinder releasing grip of knife - it is a different feel for sure and not for everyone- kind of like extending your index finger on the forend of a shotgun. I'm actually liking the custom draw sheath idea, and it may work for some kind of horizontal tactical or cowboy design - that is a good idea and may try that on one. I also tried to find a way to remove finger notches, but there isn't enough metal to work with to grind them off- the edges are only 1/4" thick in handle area.
Rudy, good idea to try a tactical version as a lower cost design with a bead blasted finish version with kydex. I didn't know makers were filling the holes either- never seen that- I will think about it now as you could have some brass or bronze plugs made up fairly cheaply and do art work or put my logo there.

Aus,
Make your own plugs from rod or plate, it doesn't have to be a perfect fit. I tried a couple when the craze was hot, it's pretty simple. Chamfer the hole, I used a Unibit....cut a plug almost twice as thick as your stock....start peening from the center out and alternate sides. The peening will make the plug stretch tightly over the chamfer on each side then grind flat and polish. It certainly isn't a look for every knife but it's unique.

Rudy

Thanks for that clarification Rudy- I get picture now. These blanks have 3 finger grooves so would have to modify for two fingers in one spot, as I did on the gut hook. Will have to look for a picture of 'plugged' knife blade now....

Aside from the hole, they cetainly have nice flow. Although I understand the concept, the hole belongs on a "tactical" maybe. It certainly can't hurt to keep a couple on the table for show, there's a posterior for every seat.
Rudy

LOL,
Rudy,
You my friend have sold cars off of A lot for enough moons to remember, We have a seat for every booty! LOL!

Thanks Art- the design kind of grows on you-

and Laurence yes Rudy is correct- I believe the posterior for this knife design can be found :les: :lol:

Last edited:
Aus,
I like the look, again as some have stated, not sure about the hole, like to try a couple too see how they work out. The workmanship looks great as usual! Since you have so many blanks, would you be interested in selling two or three? Not sure how the shipping and handling would work, but I'd reimburse you for that for everything. And, it would give me a crack at 440c, haven't work with that yet? Let me a reply and I'll get back to you after Nov. 10( little hunting trip planned). Thanks, have a great week!

More Fingerhole Protos

Finished a couple more design experiments with the 440C "fingerhole" blanks.
Here is a karambit - 3" blade and 8" overall, with blackwood scales, SS pins, and crossdraw sheath.

This is a bowie or large tactical hunter- whatever it is - it's got a 7" blade, 11.5" overall, blackwood bolsters and buckeye scales with a CA finish, and a "quickdraw" sheath, made per suggestions recieved and actually came out pretty good with the finger hole access like this.

Thanks for all the input on these designs as I now think have some good options for these blanks.

Back