How to give new life to a crippled handle

ziozeb

We often find blocks of wood full of fissures or lightly damaged ,so we didn’t use them at all and we leave them on the shelf .
This method is also suitable for broken and damaged handle you wish to fix.
The one I am using to show you my method was full of big and deep fissures .
Here below pictures before the process .
17.jpg

25.jpg

35.jpg

From a piece of the same wood I scratch some sawdust .
45.jpg

I mix it with epoxy resin , don’t use to much sawdust ,otherwise , you won’t be able to spread it in a easy way
54.jpg

I try to make the glue filling as deeper as I can in the fissures ,reaching the outward .
64.jpg

Here the result at the end of this step .Now It is a ugly result
I let the glue dry for a day .
Now I start removing the glue from the wood with 150 grit sand paper .
9.jpg

10.jpg

grit 220
111.jpg

grit 360
121.jpg

and up to 800 grit
151.jpg

131.jpg

141.jpg

Now I polish the handle with a cotton wheel and carnauba wax
And the work is done
161.jpg

171.jpg

Nice tutorial,
If I may add to your post,

I find that with some woods, it works even better when I do two whole coats of the epoxy and sawdust with sanding down to 180-220 grit paper after the first coat
With one batch of stabilized Buckeye, I found that it makes more fissures happen after the first coat dries and the second coat catches anything I missed or created with the first coat.

Thanks

Great information! Thank you both for sharing. The transformation of the wood is very inspiring. I know I have 1 or 2 knives in the bucket that could benefit from this.

Nice tutorial,
If I may add to your post,

I find that with some woods, it works even better when I do two whole coats of the epoxy and sawdust with sanding down to 180-220 grit paper after the first coat
With one batch of stabilized Buckeye, I found that it makes more fissures happen after the first coat dries and the second coat catches anything I missed or created with the first coat.

Thanks

Thanks for the add

Back