Design critique

Justin Presson

I was home today with a sick little boy so i worked on a scetch of a knife I will be making for my dad for Christmas.

Here it is let me know what I need to change or not. Again this is a first for me and not sure how to go about it. Was going to thread the end of the tang that part I'm not to sure if I just kind of slope the tang until the threads start and flaten them out.

Thanks for the input
90b5322b0d5e5122cb51e2a874dea3ed.jpg

Looks real close, when I first looked the only thought I had was maybe the front s.s. guard could be a tad bigger, not much. But that's just me, still gonna look good no matter what you do.

That looks fine Justin. I'll give you a few tips. For the threads, rough grind the tang on the grinder and then finish it to the diameter necessary with a file. You can leave it a bit oversize because annealed steel is pretty easy to thread. Just leave the rest of the tang as large as possible so it doesn't twist during threading. Also make the threads fairly long because the leather needs to be compressed as much as possible. Thread the buttcap but don't cut it off until the epoxy sets. That allows the bar stock to be used as a built in wrench to really compress the leather. When cutting in the guard shoulders be sure to leave them round. If you square them up before H/T you may wind up with a stress riser. If you send it to me for H/T I'll be glad to square up the shoulders for you with my file guide. That is, if you don't have one. Glad to see you trying a hidden tang and can't wait to see the results.

Respectfullye to knife making, but a designer all my life. There is nothing in the world that compares to small, seemingly insignificant details. I have a relatively cheap Boker Magnum folder with ridges up the entire spine of the lockback from where the lock is depressed to the back of where the blade starts. Does nothing, but is fascinatingly exciting. Thats cent #1. Also, to change up some knife designs, that dip where the blade meets the handle for the thumb always adds something indescribably cool, even on a classic design like this. (Maybe equally between where the G10 starts & equal distance into the back of the blade? Maybe not even on this knife?). That was my cent #2. Beautiful drawing and again, I am way below you in ability, but if I can add my 2 cents, I'm honored. Hope it interests you.
Respectfully,
D.

Wayne I agree it is a bit slim. I should have posted I'm doing my take of a schrade h15 that dad already has.

Darrin it will be heading to you for the HT so I will take you up on your offer. So I make the rest of the tang the size of my leather washer holes then dip down to what size thread ya think I should cut?

Gumbolowrider thanks for the input

Back