400 Grit Belt

Jon Kelly

I can't seem to find a good 400 grit 2x72 belt for finish grinding (wet after HT) on the KMG. I really like and use the VSM ceramic belts for 50 and 120 but they do not make a 400. Any recommendations?

I like the 400 grit Klingspor J-flex belt. The LS 312. Or the 400 grit (A45) Trizact gator belt. I've not found any that cut better or last longer. Seems to me that no belt in the higher grits last that long anyway.

I like the new Norton U936 in 320 & 600. They're ceramic and give a good finish and cut well, even on 10V. They also last a VERY long time. If they glaze over you can either run them backwards or fracture them at high speed with an old junk blade or other hardened piece of steel. A broken carbide bit also works well for fracturing.

Thanks guys. I've been using the Hermes however they seem to load up very fast when used wet, but they will do one knife easily enough which I suppose is not really too costly. I may need to lower my expectations, lol. I have, and frequently use the Trizact belts however they do fall apart when wet. It takes a lot of time to wipe the blade dry between passes. Last time I ordered a Klingspore J-Flex they were back ordered so I will try that one soon.

Darrin, based on your experience, do you think it would be possible to go straight to 400 grit hand sanding after the Norton U936 in 320 or would it be better to run the 600 belt as well before hand sanding?

Going from a good even 320X belt finish to a 400X hand rubbed finish should be no problem. The key is to be sure that the 320X is nice and even with no ripples or divots.

Going from a good even 320X belt finish to a 400X hand rubbed finish should be no problem. The key is to be sure that the 320X is nice and even with no ripples or divots.

I agree. Darrin hit the nail right on the head. A nice, flat, and even grinding job will transition into easy hand sanding. Those guys that say they have a knife ready to finish and are in for a whole weekend of hand sanding need to do a better job grinding.

I have started hand sanding with 400 at a 220 belt finish before with no isues. Usually though, I'll hit the blade with a 400 grit belt last. It only takes 2 or 3 passes along the blade. Then I'll start my hand sanding at 400.

I try to get my grinds really flat and even. Usually on a 3-4 inch hunter blade, I can do all the hand sanding from 400 up to 1000 in 15 minutes per side max.

If you want to use a belt wet I suggest calling trugrit and speaking with them about it. They suggested to me for wet grinding to use the norton norax ceramic belts for the mid range grinding, and the 3m micron belts for high range grinding.

- Josh

Back