Folder spring

Freds Edge

I am doing my first slip joint and have a question on spring heat treatment (cpm 154) .Do I heat treat it at the same time as the blade at 1945 short hold then plate quench , then temper at 1100 for 2 hours. I have included a pix of the spring.IMG_3700[1].jpgIMG_3700[1].jpg

Good looking backspring.

I've never used CPM154, but I expect it works like most other SS blade steel. With Sandvik steels such as 14C28N I do exactly that - heat treat just like the blade, then temper at a higher temperature. 14C28N would be 1040ºF for tempering - I expect 1100ºF would would ok for CMP154. For confirmation, I'm sure somebody with real knowledge will chime in pretty soon.

Ken H>

Don't know that I have "real knowledge" but I'll give you my 2 cents... The first few I made I tempered the spring @1150 for 2 hrs and the springs were a little stiff. I've since bumped it up to 1170 and they feel about right. Might have to tinker with it a little to find the sweet spot with your setup. Oh and yes, initially heat treat just like the blade. Good luck with your first slippy...they are addicting.

Just pay attention! If the spring is stiff, tempering is not gonna make less stiff.
Stiffness is only a function of the thickness. If you over temper the spring it won't return true, but take a new lazier set.
You need to temper just enough to push the break point to usable working range, but to be effective the spring needs to be able to return to true, otherwise the action will become sloppy with time.
Cheers
Stefano

Back