Older kitchen knife blade question

remist17

Hello all, I need some help. My grandmother past recently and she had several kitchen knives that she always used. these all had 14 to 16" blades on them and are old. I am not sure the metal but the blades are aged. They all hold a great edge. i was thinking to make several remembrance knifes from these for all of her children and two grandchildren.

Questions:
Since this blade is already in working condition can I cut it with a hacksaw and not heat treat?
Is there anything special I need to do or not do with this type of steel? Again not sure what type but I am assuming its not stainless from the looks.

Any steel hard enough to be used for a knife can't be cut with a hacksaw. Any other means of cutting such as a torch or plasma cutter will ruin the temper and make them useless for knives. The only way to cut hardened steel without ruining the temper would be to have them cut with a waterjet.
My advice is to leave them as is and try to find some other steel to make the keepsake knives out of.

You could re-handle them if it needs it and hand them out to family units instead of to individuals. I was asked to do a similar job when I first started. Not knowing any better I accepted the challenge. It was a job and I was not happy with the work involved trying to cut the profiles. Further I didn't like the resulting two knives. Ended up having to heat treating them as best I could. Never again!

As mentioned, Re handling each knife after a clean up of the blade would be the wise way to go. For the safety of the temper in the steel keep your working temperature on any clean up at below 200 degrees or boiling water.

That would be the best way for everyone to remember NaNa's culinary skills.

Back