Heart

Tom Militano

KNIFE MAKER
I haven't posted much lately or worked on any knives. I had four bypasses in 2008 and I have a bad tear in my stomach lining. The surgeon that was going to operate on it wouldn't do anything until he got a release from my cardiologist to put me under. My cardiologist ordered an EKG, a CT scan, and a nuclear stress test, which didn't come out all that great. The next thing was a heart cath which showed the bypasses were in great shape, but a large artery going into the heart was 85% blocked. They put in a stent and the surgeon said that as soon as the stent was put in the blood started flowing the way it was supposed to. I have never had a chest pain in my life and still ended up with four bypasses, a stroke, and a stent. My cardiologist still won't clear me for surgery. Just because you don't have chest pains doesn't mean you don't have to have things checked out once in a while. When I was in cardiac ICU in 2008 the heart surgeon told me that if I hadn't had the bypasses done I would have been dead in about a year. Not really what I wanted to hear. I have to cool it for a couple of weeks, then I'm hitting the shop because I'm getting cabin fever.

Bummer with all the health issues - I can relate to some of it. My heart doc says I'm very "atypical" (that does mean "not normal?) in my heart issues because I don't have the usual chest pains either, but still have had 5 stents and a rotor-rooter job in the last 12 yrs or so. Hang in there and stay on top of preventive care.

Ken H>

Back