What metal for guard?

Justin Presson

Turning to y'all for knowledge again. I'm going to make a knife for my dad in the similar style of this old Schrade. It is his favorite my mom bought it for him at least 30 years ago. He has let me borrow tools and everything else to help get my knifemaking started.
So my question is what to use for a guard and pommel? I have yet to do a hidden tang so not sure what to order. Also should I order one already slotted to make it easier? I'm going to get some leather for the handle.
Thanks
JP
5a19e324b7a577ad500dd1133bee3209.jpg

I believe the original fittings were aluminum, so you might go with that if you are trying to stay as original as possible. I've never used the prefabricated guards so can't offer up any advise there other than since this is your first one, buy 6 or 12 inches of whatever material you wish to use and make your own. 12 inches would be preferable so you have some material to start over with if you don't nail it the first time. Go slow and check your fit OFTEN. Once you get one done the rest will be just as hard, lol.........

"Once you get one done the rest will be just as hard, lol........." Haha that sounds encouraging I think you are right about the aluminum I looked up the model. Is that a good choice or is something easier I don't care about using the same material just the look and feel staying along the original.

I suggest 416 Stainless, it will give the same look but wont be as prone to scratching as aluminum. I also suggest making the fittings yourself, it'll save you some $$ and you'll have a new set of skills when you're done. Who knows, you may find that you enjoy making hidden tangs more than full tangs. Feel free to give me a call if you hit any snags.
I can also send you a piece of 1/8" X 1" 416 if you need it. 1/8" 416 is hard to find but I have a nice stash.

1/8 is definitely the hardest 416 to find. 416 is also the best material for a guard. I only use brass on occasion when requested. This being your first hidden tang and for your Dad, buy a couple of guards that are pre-slotted. Learn using brass on something else. Hidden tang knives are addictive so be careful!

I can also send you a piece of 1/8" X 1" 416 if you need it. 1/8" 416 is hard to find but I have a nice stash.

Darrin, would you be willing to send any of that my way? I'll pay cash, or trade whatever.

Thanks.

John

Sorry for the thread drift. So to keep it relevant, I made the guard for my first hidden tang knife out of aluminum and I'll never do it again. It's way too soft and it get's that white powdery patina/corrosion or whatever. It doesn't wear well at all. I'd go with bronze or german silver if I want the softer metals.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
For a guard, take an old garage sale/flea market Stainless Steel spoon, preferably a fairly thick one. Hammer it flat and cut off the handle. Using a drill and a dremel, cut out a slot for your tang. Cut it undersize. Then cut out oversize shape of guard you desire. Grind down to actual size you want. Use a file to size guard to fit tang. You can use a silver spoon too.
I don't know of a source for an already slotted pommel. Except that you can buy "re-handle kits" for the USMC Ka Bar from Cutco. They include Guard, enough leather rings for one (large) knife, and a pre-made pommel & pin.
http://www.cutco.com/customer/contactUs.jsp#customer

Last edited:
Back