AHEG (Awesome Horizontal Edge Grinder) construction and assymbley WIP.

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
A brief,general,overview of assymbly and construction of my AHEG grinder.
I designed and built the first prototype of this grinder about 4 or 5 years ago and have used it extensively in the construction of my knives ever since. This is one of my most valued tools,I would not want to build folding knives without it.
My good friend and fellow knifemaker Paolo Ghio wanted to build his own AHEG,I told him I would help him. This one incorporates some changes to my original design,mainly,a wider apron for the tool rests to sit on and wider tool rests,not to mention a beautiful paint job.
Its going to take a while to post this WIP,I will describe what each series of photos shows and will undoubtedly leave out some pertinent information so,please ask questions!
This grinder has 4 grinding stations,the 4"drive wheel,left and right corners and the flat platen. I use Bader small wheels and used the Bader small wheel holders as my basis of design for my small wheel holders. While the machine is running I can grind three different radiuses and a flat. I can change the small wheels if desired for even more versatility. This is the machine that I grind my bread slicing knife blades on,the serrations and the bevels.
On my first prototype I bought the tracking/tensioning assembly and the drive wheel from Beaumont Metal Works but we had to build this tracking/tensioning assembly because Beaumont is temporarily out of stock. We bought the motor,variable phase converter,and small wheels but built everything else in my and Paolo's shop.
1st photo shows the base plate with all the holes drilled and tapped.
2nd photo shows the variable phase converter being installed. The bracket that it is mounted on is part of the belt guard off of a riding mower.
3rd photo shows the power cord coming through its hole in the base plate.
4th photo shows the motor,sitting on the baseplate before it's installation from the bottom side of the baseplate. This is a C face motor so the mounting bolts go through the base plate and into the face of the motor. The washers provide spacing between the motor face and base plate.
5th photo shows the motor shaft protruding through the base plate and the bolts that hold it in place. That motor is 2 hp 3460 rpm 240 volt 3phase.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 96
1st photo shows the motor in place under the base plate.
2nd photo shows the power lead to the motor in its hole in the base plate. Those two power leads were made from wire scavenged from a defunct hot tub.
3rd photo shows the drive wheel being installed onto the motor shaft.
4th photo shows the wheel in place with a shim to keep it off the base plate while the set screw is being tightened on the motor shaft key.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 67
1st photo shows the tracking/tensioning device that we built. We bought the knurled tracking adjust screw from Beaumont.
2nd photo shows this device in position.
3rd photo shows Paolo tightening the nylock nut on the bolt,there is a fine line between too tight and just right!
4th photo shows the tension spring mount.
5th photo shows the tension spring in position to do its job.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 73
1st photo shows the small wheel holder we built,based on the Bader design.
2nd photo shows this holder being mounted in place.
3rd photo shows the 2" wheel in place.
4th photo shows the top arm of this holder being put in place.
5th photo shows that the wheel needs to be perfectly perpendicular to the base plate so that our grind lines will be perpendicular to our flats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 62
1st photo shows the flat platen.
2nd photo shows the other small wheel holder.
3rd photo shows the flat platen being bolted into position.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 49
1st photo shows the base plate and all pieces assembled in place except for the tool rests.
2nd and 3rd photos show Paolo installing a belt.
4th photo shows how the belt runs from wheel to wheel across the platen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 68
1st photo shows the tool rest for the 2" wheel in place.
2nd photo shows the aluminum legs bolted to the tool rest and the super strong magnets that allow for quick removal or positioning.
3rd photo shows the bottom of the tool rest for the platen and the 4th photo shows the tool rest in place.
5th photo shows the tool rest for the 1/2" wheel.
At the time we took these photos we had not yet built the tool rest for the 4" drive wheel but,you get the picture,don't you?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 63
1st photo shows the grinder completely assembled,from behind.
2nd photo shows another rear view with a better view of the motor.
3rd photo shows the power pigtale, long legs and angle iron where a shelf will be attached.
This machine is 4' tall to the base plate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 82
Robinson & Ghio engineering and fabrication.
WHERE REDNECK INGENUITY MEETS AFRO ENGINEERING.

Disclaimer: The above statement was not intended to offend anyone.I am a proud red neck from the piney woods panhandle of Florida,Paolo is a certified engineer from South Africa.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 72
Calvin I seen this on your Facebook page and had to take another look on here. Very impressive and i got a good laugh out of your last comment I have a few things that I have rednecked too...nice work

Calvin - your usual GREAT WIP complete with good detail. That should allow anyone to duplicate your grinder. I've seen it, and it sure works GREAT!!!

Ken H>

Calvin -Excellent WIP and a very nice grinder. What are the dimensions (L x W & thickness) of the base plate?

Jim

That is fantastic looking! I just finished a disc grinder. A horizontal is next on my list.

A few questions:
Is this a 2x72 machine?
Do you plan on adding dust collection. ..if so how?
Do you have a drawing of the base plate?

That is fantastic looking! I just finished a disc grinder. A horizontal is next on my list.

A few questions:
Is this a 2x72 machine?
Do you plan on adding dust collection. ..if so how?
Do you have a drawing of the base plate?

Yes,this is a 2"X72" machine,sorry I forgot to include that in my introduction.
I have a drop from overhead that leads to a central vacuum system in my shop for dust collection from this and other grinders. I'm sure Paolo will do something similar to handle the dust from this machine.
We are making a drawing of the base plate and plan to re produce it and market it and a list of supplies and where to buy them. We are also planning on making and posting a YouTube video of this machine in operation.
Thank you for your compliments and questions.

Calvin -Excellent WIP and a very nice grinder. What are the dimensions (L x W & thickness) of the base plate?

Jim

Jim,
We will be coming out with a set of plans and specs and a list of supplies and where to buy them in the near future. Would you be interested in purchasing a set?
The base plate is 42"X24"X1/4".

Jim,
We will be coming out with a set of plans and specs and a list of supplies and where to buy them in the near future. Would you be interested in purchasing a set?
The base plate is 42"X24"X1/4".
Good morning Calvin,

I would be interested in purchasing a set.

John

Back