Fish Hooks

Generally when hand sanding I tend to sand in a straight line, and only in one direction. Then going to next higher grit, I'll sand 90 degrees, still sanding in one direction only. I use a sanding stick to hold sandpaper to get a nice level surface.

Ken H>

I use a tip I learned from Frank Niro. I sand with Windex until the final grit and then switch to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. For some reason the synthetic oil all but eliminates fish hooks but it HAS to be synthetic oil. So if I'm going to 600X, I progress through 400X with windex, switch to the Mobil 1 at 600X until all the 400X scratches are gone, and then switch to clean dry 600X paper with straight pulls to finish. Once I switch to the dry paper it only takes a few pulls until I'm done.

I tried to hand sand my latests knife(cpm 154) after heat treating/tempering and felt like I might have better luck trying to remove deep scratches with a marshmallow for all the results I was getting. I did manage some fish hooks though.

I am going to try the windex and synthetic oil trick, as well as try to get the scratches out before I heat treat the blade.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

As silly as this sounds,

Remember that we aren't removing any scratches or fish hooks at all! We are bringing the whole area of metal down below the scratches! LOL

Thanks everyone for the input. I have watched Nick's videos on sanding. They have been a great resource. I also will give the oil a try.
Dave

As silly as this sounds,

Remember that we aren't removing any scratches or fish hooks at all! We are bringing the whole area of metal down below the scratches! LOL

Never thought about it like that before, you are so right.

Back