Elk crown or scales where to get???

C Craft

I need an elk crown that can be cut into scales or elk scales, they need to be at minimum 1 1/4" W X 4 1/4" L

Those are minimum measurements they are probably going to need to be slightly wider and longer to allow for me to orientate the elk crown/scales to the knife I am working on!

I would use stag but can't afford it on this one!

Anyone know where the go to place is for elk???

Try Moscow Hide & Fur. They have bone, antler, and other animal parts.

If you have a Walmart near by go cruise the dog treat isle! I've seen many large bone & antler chew toys there that may work just right?

Same goes for Petco etc..

Thanks Chuck I will them a call Monday.

Laurence, I hadn't thought of that! :what!::happy::biggrin: I went thru all the dog bones at the local pet store and bought two that were selected for there size, shape (one nearly flat side), and thickness of the bone. I made a couple of nice knife handles out of them!

I have a piece that's 2 and a 1/2 wide and 10 inch long and straight if you still need some.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 13
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I just received an elk antler from a friend of mine last week. It's huge and from a 6x6. If you still can't find what ya need PM me and I'll see if I can help. I'll be using some of this antler to make a knife to raise money for the Wounded Warriors foundation. Anybody know a good place to get some chunks stabilized and dyed?

Thanks for the offer KCorn.

My good friend franklin is sending me some Elk antler he had on hand. I just owe him my right arm, :biggrin: just joking, I am going to return the favor and send something his way later! You got to love this forum.

I was checking some elk antlers on eBay but nowadays they are going for crazy prices!

Craft she is in the mail and coming your way. Oh and that was your first born ;0 JK Don't feel pressed to send me anything if
some thing comes up and you have some thing you don't need fine if not pass it on to someone who needs help. Hope the piece works well for you I just want to see the pic when you are done.

Hey thanks, Franklin and my first born is a deputy sheriff in the next county, over from me. Real proud about that one! He comes with a wife and child so hope you got enough room at your house! Thanks again.

Somewhere in this thread someone suggested going to the pet store. Well as it turns out today I had to do just such a thing, (darn dogs won't stop eating)!:biggrin: Anyway as I was strolling along I passed the aisle with chews on. I found some Elk antlers that would work for a knife with a internal/hidden tang, narrowed up too quick to get a set of scales out of. They also carried some antlers and some sheep or goat horns. I see in the future that I am going to have to find out when delivery day is and start frequenting the pet stores, so I can pick thru the stock before those darn dogs get first dibs!!

Last edited:
Laurence, I hadn't thought of that! :what!::happy::biggrin: I went thru all the dog bones at the local pet store and bought two that were selected for there size, shape (one nearly flat side), and thickness of the bone. I made a couple of nice knife handles out of them!

Glad that it worked out for you. You know my dog actually chews on those!

See what happen's! Do a good deed and it may just bite you back! LOL
I'm sure there are enough pet supply stores to go around!

I just received an elk antler from a friend of mine last week. It's huge and from a 6x6. If you still can't find what ya need PM me and I'll see if I can help. I'll be using some of this antler to make a knife to raise money for the Wounded Warriors foundation. Anybody know a good place to get some chunks stabilized and dyed?

You can't beat Culpepper for their Amber dying process and K & G for stabilizing.

I suppose I should take this up to the dog run but, here is where it started so here it is.

I am in the process of trying to build a precision milling table for my KMG clone. It is still very hot and humid here so got up this morning and finished up some welding and painting on that project. By the time I got finished it gave me time to take a shower and run to town for some grocery items. Sit down to eat lunch and watch the NASCAR race and it starts to rain here. So the satellite is blocked by the rain and now I can't see the race. Fell asleep and woke up just in time for round two of the rain. I walked to the front door and made the comment to the wife about how hard it was raining.
In case you haven't heard USPS Priority Mail now runs on Sunday. Somewhere between the two showers a USPS Priority Mail package had been delivered. They barely had placed it on the porch and now it is getting rained on. If they had put it by the door it would have been fine, had they knocked or rang the bell, it would be fine. I jumped out in the rain and grabbed up the package with the lighting popping all around!

Luckily the package had just begun to get wet at that point. To my surprise it is a package from my good buddy Larry Franklin. In it is not only the piece of Elk he promised to send me but, also some more Elk, and what appears to be a whitetail antler and a couple of slabs of stabilized wood. :what!: Also their was one of his cards. (Note to self you might want to do a card like Larry's)

Larry, thank you from the bottom of my heart. That was an awesome thing to do. You can't beat the folks on this site for good people!!!! Oh by the way I have it on my bucket list to take an Elk with a set like that one had to be! I want to take one with my ole primitive muzzle loader, if the eyes will just hold out that long. That had to be a big .............one, by the size of that mainbeam! Although that one may be hard to do as their ain't many Elk in NW Florida!:biggrin:

Craft just got back from the hammer in at boss's place to see this you are very welcome thought you might like a little xstra :)
The card you saw I printed at home from are printer i really like just doing them myself at home when I need them.
I am not sure Janik would now but I think that elk was a world record when shot by travis brush so you got your hands
full if your after that big of a elk. Like I said I want pics brother:lol:

Back