Finished another caper and bought a big boy grinder and converting garage

Justin Presson

My little work bench has been getting crowded and tired of moving stuff on and off the floor when I need to use it so i spent some time building another work bench. I used a long pallet and some 1" mdf they were going to chuck in the trash at work.

Before
b0d625dc91a05c576caaf54871a41a33.jpg

822ce2e8fb693e8cd38107269fa61821.jpg

2b29040acf8f921325c1b1379d77acfe.jpg

Here is my new to me used wilmont LB1000 I got. Wow I feel spoiled after using the old 1x42 can't wait to use this baby more
8ae340cea8b33be21151bccc4e9e6db1.jpg

Having the right tools made this go a heck of alot faster and easier on my elbows!
374581dd680e8cfa416801e260a52894.jpg

and finally here is the latest I finished.
dfcc270933c817390cb9a0328960d6e5.jpg

f4cd59d0e5a2d1fceb1cb0a9f466f501.jpg

2a91f6ae21e03908036ceef975a93f55.jpg

JP

Oh my, blade is looking great. Looks like you did very well with the new to you grinder. Your knives are looking top notch. Your garage looks like mine, the knife making area is getting bigger and bigger.

Thanks redmech. My wife is starting to think I have a problem :) and the old Ford might not like it to much in the winter but I needed to do it.

Justin,
Looks like a great little shop with your big boy grinder and a very handsome knife! You Da Man! On your way to being a full time grinding fool!:biggrin:

I am truly happy for you!

That Wilmont grinder is sweet! Soon all that new bench top real estate will be gone. As we get more space we tend to fill it up. Don't ask how I know.

Good luck and happy making in your enlarged shop.

Justin,
Looks like a great little shop with your big boy grinder and a very handsome knife! You Da Man! On your way to being a full time grinding fool!

I am truly happy for you!
Thanks Laurence, thought about you putting the lanyard tube in you said it would look good in the last one I finished....and it does

Lookin' good Justin. Glad to see you makin' sparks with the new machine, its gonna reduce your time per knife dramatically.
I'm chomping at the bit to grind some bevels with it but trying to finish a few handles on some others first. Hopefully get rolling on that batch of cappers soon and send your way.

Thanks redmech. My wife is starting to think I have a problem :) and the old Ford might not like it to much in the winter but I needed to do it.

I have lived here now going on 18years and I have never had a car in my garage,:what!: and the wife has always known I had a problem!:biggrin: Knives and shop are looking good. As for the old Ford just remind it that means Fast On Race Day!:biggrin:

Thanks Laurence, thought about you putting the lanyard tube in you said it would look good in the last one I finished....and it does

Justin, Get yourself a 90 degree countersink or even a large drill bit and just take a little of that inside edge off of that Lanyard tube. the edge can put wear and tear on the Lanyard thong over time. You can also flare the tubes to make a mechanical connection by giving it a straight whack dead center on both sides after you have countersunk the tube. Not too hard, you can crack the wooden scales.:mad:

Thanks rhino. I need to break down and buy some. On question after you use the countersink do you sand it some how to or will it produce a clean enough look you won't have too?

You have to have the counter sink come straight down. I use gentle little taps with the counter sink with even pressure. You don't want chatter marks.

I have used thinly cut pieces of super Fine Scotchbrite pads to use shoeshine style through the thong hole to polish it up.

Here is how I do thong tubes. I square up the handle and countersink the tubes before I do any shaping. I make sure the bottom of the tube is on the press table so it doesn't break the epoxy loose. If I need to clean up the inside of the tube I chuck up a .177 caliber bore brush in my press and run it through the tube a few times until its nice & shiny. Once all this is done you can finish as usual.
I'm sure there are other ways but that's what works for me.

Back