Labor Pains

Jon Kelly

Here is my latest, just finished today. Your observations are welcome and much appreciated. Thanks for looking.

1084 differentially hardened steel
8 7/8 OAL 4" blade with 3 5/8 cutting edge
Brushed copper guard and butt-cap
Coined nickle silver spacer
Stick tang design with nickle silver pin
Stabilized Box Elder Burl handle

Well Jon, I'm new to the knife making but the brushed copper combined with the nickel silver really "pops". Outstanding look against both the blade and the choice of handle material. To me it looks like it has great lines to be able to do some serious work after you put down a big buck or elk, but that would mean you'd need to get it dirty and you may not want that, right!! Well done from a rookie new to the ranks! But please answer one question. What is differentially hardened steel? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Wayne Bensinger

Thank you Wayne for the kind words. The differential hardening simply refers to the manner in which the blade was hardened. In this case only the blade edge was fully hardened, leaving the spine "soft" in order to provide (in my opinion) the best balance between strength, flexibility and cutting ability, assuming the heat treatment process was performed properly. There are several ways to accomplish this and this forum is an exceptional resource for further study. Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Jon,
This knife is beautiful! The simple lines and color combination realy trip my trigger and the fit and finish is awesome.

Back