Filing a twisted rope

Jeremiah Rostig

This is more easy than it may look .I would like to encourage some fellow dogs trying that out.

Tool is a 4 mm round file for sharpening saw chains,.
Stock width is 3.3 mm.

1. file a sample to get the feel for the move and see how it developes.
2. mark the brink with an Edding
3. scribe a line for final depth.
4. try to file even grooves and leave ribs with about 1.5 mm in width.spare out the corner.
5. I use my finger as a guide to start a straight groove
6. after you have warmed up and feel the move, file the corner.
7. even the grooves and the ribs while filing to half depth
8. break the angle to full depth, one side first, then change position and file the other side.
carefully rounding the middle of the grooves to the outside, running up and down all the grooves.always make shure you file from 4 to 11.
ribs still should have 90 degree.
9. rounding ribs with stripe of grinding belt, 150 grit works well, for the corners you need a fine flat file.
10 finish grooves with small (thin) grinding belt stripe.
11. sisal polish in twist direction.
12. mask it with tape and grind the blade
13 ready for heat treatment.

there are many ways to do this, its only my version and it may have some lackings in explanation, but you will see that the whole thing comes by itself
enjoy your rope
saludos
Jeremiah

Last edited:
I recommend do it in 3 steps: spine, butt, belly. take a rest between the steps, while eyes and fingers start to get tired.every step takes me at least 2 hours.
spine and butt tending to stretch out, belly tends to tighten the pattern.You can counteract but i accept it, it makes it look more vivid and natural.

Last edited:
I missed this when you posted - just now finding this thread. That is good. I've been wanting to try some file work like that. Good job.

Ken H>

Back