Really is this the new think or what???

C Craft

Just made my first post to the forum in a while. While I don't mind so much ads at the top or the side of a page but now they pop up in the middle of my post!!!!:s11798:

Really, I mean really. Is this the new format????????????????????????? :nono: Not a fan! I am not really sure why companies insist on doing this because it doesn't make me want to buy something from them, on the contrary it makes me never want to buy from them again!

Last edited:
This is part of the change I mentioned earlier but this is not what it was supposed to be doing.

I am working on it.

Basically, non-paid members are always welcome but will have to put up with the occasional (admittedly intrusive) ad in the middle of a post. Paid memberships will not see these. They probably do now, but it's not done yet.

It's like a TV commercial in the middle of your show vs buying HBO?

Boss, I have a question. So when a non member is looking at a post of one of our vendors. We can use me as example. And the post is a for sale thread about wood or damascus etc. Will the pop up adds be geared to direct these non members to another seller who advertises with whatever add form your using? If so. That sucks.

Boss, I have a question. So when a non member is looking at a post of one of our vendors. We can use me as example. And the post is a for sale thread about wood or damascus etc. Will the pop up adds be geared to direct these non members to another seller who advertises with whatever add form your using? If so. That sucks.

good question Randy...If you google "kitchen knife" images and then bounce around the internet to different sites, you will see kitchen knife banner ads pop up all the time on all those sites you visit. The ad banners are based on tracking cookies in your browser. You can turn cookies off but then you will lose the benefit of them and the adword banners will still pop up

Everyone will see the google adwords banner at the top of the page. This banner ad used to be up top awhile ago. We moved it to the bottom of the page to make room for our "local" banner box which we use or sell to "local" knife related businesses. We moved that box back to just under the header to replace the local banner.

We are shrinking the "local" banner to half size and moving that to the very top of page next to the header logo.
Everyone will see both of these, just like it has been for a couple years.

Now (new), the non-paid user will see a google adwords box (displayed in the first message of a post) with the content depending on what is in their tracking cookies, just like the ad at the top of the page. This banner won't "mine" the post that is being displayed for relevant ads. It will post relevant ads based on the cookies in that persons browser. In most cases, everyone will see completely different ads.

Using you as an example since you volunteered, you sell (great) damascus. If someone has been browsing around for damascus, they may see a banner ad follow them around the net either here or nearly every place else they browse on the net. The ad they see is based on the bids of advertisers. Let's say there are ten guys selling damascus advertising with google adwords. (I've never seen even one but this is an example.) One of the damascus competitor ads might be displayed or it may be out bid by another vendor selling something that is knife related (or what ever happens to be in their tracking cookies). Google will display the ad that is a combination of highest bid to be displayed and most likely to be clicked on based on the tracking cookies of that person seeing the ad.

so, no "new" marketing aimed at competing here with you, or the wood guys or the knife dealers or supply guys like me. It will be the same ad content that has always been displayed, there are just two more boxes for non-paid members showing up with more of the same.

Does that answer your concern?

Hey Boss I get the ad thing, it's just weird to get a commercial in the middle of the text!

I just really don't get the advertiser's because it really would do the same thing to put it on the side. Then I can ignore it with little effort. :happy:Its kind of like trying to say something and someone keeps interrupting, it is annoying! I know this companies seem to think the more annoying, the more memorable, but to me its a reminder not to buy from that guy!

Oh well I am not downing you I know you got a business to run and the forum is actually an extension of that business. Or to put it bluntly, it's my fee, for the forum being free! :biggrin: That is meant in the best of humor.

You see in do appreciate what a forum like this, does do for me. I will say this up till now I have never sold a knife through any forum, this one included but, in the future I make take advantage of the fact that opportunity is available!

I also understand what paid membership can do for someone. I personally at this time am still a part timer and due to life and a lot of health issues with myself and wife,.........well we just don't have money to put into other things. So again I do appreciate this forum and the opportunities it affords even for those of us, who don't have or can't afford a paid membership! Thanks Boss because you and I have talked before and I think you are a stand up guy and so is this forum!

Last edited:
Boss, I (and I'm sure other folks also) do appreciate you keeping us informed about different aspects of the forum, and what it takes to run it. I do have a question, does it generate more revenue for you if we click on the ads some? OR - just having the ad in front of us is the sole revenue generator? I certainly don't mind "clicking thru" on an ad from time to time. Seems like I read somewhere the "stickiness" (how long you're on the ad page) of the click thru had an affect also on revenue?

Keep up the good work - "IF" the ads could appear at bottom of the post rather than in middle of post it would be nice, but you might not have any control over that.

Ken H>

Impressions - when a display ad is shown it doesn't pay the host site (us) anything. The impressions are tracked and reported by google and certainly they eventually make an impression who sees them and may influence a purchase later. Google doesn't charge advertisers for impressions, they charge for clicks.

Pay for clicks - a host site (like us) doesn't get paid unless a display ad is clicked. The amount we receive can be anywhere from a couple pennies to 25cents or so. The amount varies as google changes the bid rate almost daily on keyword bids. They may have several thousand advertisers bidding for a chance to be displayed. They may also have just one or two. They charge what the market will bear. Google wants the most clicks it can get so they constantly re-evaluate ads to see which will be displayed ...and hopefully clicked.

It is against google User agreement to encourage "fake" clicks to generate revenue. We won't be encouraging anyone to help us out by clicking. If it interests you, click it and go look. If it doesn't, ignore it. I know I find myself clicking over on banner ad a couple times a week since the ads are pretty well targeted to my interests.

The placement of the banner display ad has a HUGE impact on the CTR (click through rate). They are placed where they are so they have a more likely chance of getting clicked on. It would be great if TV shows put all their commercials at the end of the show so when it was over you could just turn it off. There is a reason they are every few minutes through out the show. There is also a reason they are placed in the middle of a message post.

Ok Boss - thanks for the info. I was thinking the number of page views (relating to ad views) had an impact on revenue. The only time is when I see something interesting to click thru on. That makes sense. I agree 100% ad placement has an impact on the click thru rate, but I'm not sure I agree on ads being in the middle of post as encouraging click thru. At bottom of post just seems best, but what do I know. I agree, not at end of whole thread that could be several pages long, that would be like at end of movie, and who would see them then?

To me, the ideal ad is one that's very visible, but not irritating, as sometimes they are in middle of post where you've got to skip over ad to finish your train of thought in reading the post. I NEVER click on those ads, the are an irritant. Ads at bottom of a post, and there are several posts on each page of a thread, are less of an irritant, but seems like it would generate more click thru?

Again Boss - I am NOT fussing, not by any means. We all appreciate very much this forum and the rules and order you maintain, keeping it civil and family friendly.

Keep up the great work - as Darrin says, I do like the new look.

Ken H>

OK, I just logged out and closed my browser., Then came back and looked around. as a guest. or not signed in. I checked my forum only. and viewed many posts and none had any adds. ? Can you explain where these adds are or why I dont see them? Maybe they are only in the regular part of the forum???

Can't explain but I am looking at your post and there are two ads, one for "Reach 98%of the web" and the other for "Restaurant Equip Parts". The adds being in the middle of the textdo not make it more probable that I will click the add, in fact..........................!

Can't explain but I am looking at your post and there are two ads, one for "Reach 98%of the web" and the other for "Restaurant Equip Parts". The adds being in the middle of the textdo not make it more probable that I will click the add, in fact..........................!

understood and noted.
I would not click on them either if I wasn't interested.

yup not sure I have had no pop ups yet when posting on laptop but get them all the time on the kindle. any one else get that?

I'm having "script" issues with the site today. Keeps hanging up on me when I try to go back and edit a post.

Back