A few recent ones

Syrupy (is that a word?) sweet Mr. Karl. I have a question about the laminates. Why do they have 2 black & 2 white/silver lines at the transition instead of single lines? I'll probably feel like a dummy when you explain it but I can't figure it out. I love the look of the double lines but it baffles me as to how it works.

Right after the weld has taken place and the blade is still at relatively high heat, a good deal of carbon migration takes place.
Carbon wants to equalize.
The stainless is carbon deficient and the 1095 is carbon rich.
Keep in mind that TIME is also a factor here.
The shiny silver spot right above the 1095 is where the carbon has been "sucked" out of the tool steel. (Actually is wasn't sucked - it moved on its own).
So, with the absence of an iron/carbon matrix, it etches out almost like raw iron.
The black line above that is where the carbon went. With more carbon, it etches a bit like the 1095 - dark.
Not really visible in these photos is something I have seen before. Sometimes, when grinding a blade to the exact thickness I seek, I get the stainless a bit thin. After etching, I can see waves and layers of carbon migration in degrees of density.
And, a bigger knife will spend more time forging, so there's more time for migration to take place.
A small hunter will not take as long, so the deviations are very distinct and sharp.
Every one of them is unique when examined up close.

Syrupy (is that a word?) sweet Mr. Karl. I have a question about the laminates. Why do they have 2 black & 2 white/silver lines at the transition instead of single lines? I'll probably feel like a dummy when you explain it but I can't figure it out. I love the look of the double lines but it baffles me as to how it works.

Carbon migration never crossed my mind but makes perfect sense. Considering that I can see where each one can be different from the next due to so many variables in the different amount of forging heats in each blade. Thanks for the explanation and I appreciate all you share here on the forum.

Back