Greetings and Salutations

BrandantR

Hi, everyone and greetings from a small hobby shop in the mountain country of Southern Utah. My name is Brandant Robinson and I’m pleased to be part of such a wonderful group of people. I joined the forum a couple months ago, but had been lurking around for some time before that. After soaking up as much good information as I could, I decided it was time to jump in and start contributing and making friends.

As far as some background on me, I started making knives about five years ago. I had been a woodcarver for many years and was never really satisfied with the tools I had purchased. So, not being able to find what I wanted, I took up the challenge of making my own tools. That soon turned into making and selling simple knives and gouges to the woodcarving community which is where I developed a love for the processes of designing and making knives. I spent more and more time making knives and less and less time woodcarving. Seeing that I had more of a passion for making tools than for woodcarving, I continued to push myself and hone my knife-making skills. I went on from there to make a few full-tang kitchen and hunting knives which only increased my passion for knife making.

Having had several successes with full-tang knives, I decided to give folders a try. I’m a mechanical engineer by profession and the mechanics and workings of folding knives have always fascinated me. So, after many hours spent in online research, I made my first custom folder about a year and a half ago and there has been no going back since. So far, I have only made about a dozen custom folders, which I have given away to family or held onto for sentimental reasons. I currently have five liner-lock knives on my bench that I began last week with the intent of selling to help fund this very expensive habit of mine.

Again, I am pleased to become a part of this online community and hope to be able to share with you my adventures in knife making as you share with me yours. I have posted a few photos of my most recent knife. Please give me your honest opinions. Kudos are great, but constructive criticism is better. I'm looking to improve my skills and designs, so any critique is appreciated.

BrandantR

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 19
Welcome to KD from South Florida. Very nice folder. If the 5 look like this one, you should have an easy time financing your future work.

Thank you, gentlemen for your kind greetings. I appreciate you taking the time to say hello to a new member like me. I hope to become a contributing member here on the forum and appreciate all those who selflessly post answers to help the budding new makers. This is a great place with outstanding people and it's a pleasure to be among you.

Welcome from Cajun country Brandant. Are you from the SW part of Utah? I used to drive trucks and always enjoyed the ride up/down I-15 especially through the Virgin river gorge, the Red Cliffs area, & all the mt. ranges up to SLC. Beautiful country.
Good to see you here. Your work looks nice. If I can ever help you with anything just let me know.

Welcome from Cajun country Brandant. Are you from the SW part of Utah? I used to drive trucks and always enjoyed the ride up/down I-15 especially through the Virgin river gorge, the Red Cliffs area, & all the mt. ranges up to SLC. Beautiful country.
Good to see you here. Your work looks nice. If I can ever help you with anything just let me know.

Hi, Darrin. It's nice to meet you. I'm in a little place called Cedar City in South West Utah. If you drove I-15, then you would have passed right through my home town.

Oh yeah, I know exactly where Cedar City is. I've spent a few nights there at the truck stop. If I remember correctly, it was called J. R.'s.

Oh yeah, I know exactly where Cedar City is. I've spent a few nights there at the truck stop. If I remember correctly, it was called J. R.'s.

I drove by J.R's Truck Stop every morning for years while growing up. In fact, I used to wax the floors there at night while I was in high school to earn my spending money. It's still a good spot to stop.

Back