Any pen turners here?

Travis Fry

Seems like a lot of the equipment and supplies that we use in knife making would carry over to turning pens. That, combined with a need for a new hobby (since I don't have enough already...), and appreciation for fine tools of all kinds, and a knack for drawing has me planning to get into this.

Anyone else turn pens? If so, can you make any recommendations re: lathes, tools, specialized stuff, specific brands--in short, anything you wish someone had told you?

I've made pens for long time and you can get into it pretty cheap. If pens are the only turning you plan on doing, get a cheap mini wood lathe at Harbor Freight, with a sale and coupon there about $100. They have cheap sets of turning chisels, that once you resharpen them, they're not too bad.

You need a pen mandrel that matches the morse taper on the lathe, get that on ebay or Penn State. Penn State (www.pennstateind.com) has an awesome catalog (free) and email specials. They've got every kind of pen kit imaginable, and then some.

Just about have to have a barrel trimmer too. They're about $15 or so. They make a ton of special tools, presses, disassembly tools, etc. for making pens, but they're not necessary to try it out.

Last edited:
Getting the right lathe has been the big question for me right now. I actually have a really big lathe, but it's in storage at my parents' place because it's too big for my space. I don't ever plan on doing anything other than pens and smaller projects (quillon dagger handles?), so a mini is fine. I'd prefer to only cry once and get the right one. If that means cheap, that's good. If not, the difference is only one more knife sale. Any specific recommendations?

I have a small Jet lathe that I traded one of my customs for. It has a Pen mandrel but I've only turned Wine stoppers and bottle openers so far.DSCN5570.jpg. Lots of fun and a nice break from all the steel dust and noise.

Wood turning is very relaxing.

Ed Caffery makes damascus pens. They are pretty cool. There are some posted on his website.

He posted some time ago about where to get the internals for the pens. For the life of me, I cannot find the thread. I'm sure he would share if you contacted him.

DeMo

He posted some time ago about where to get the internals for the pens. For the life of me, I cannot find the thread. I'm sure he would share if you contacted him.

DeMo

It happens that I've had that conversation with Ed in person. There are literally dozens of suppliers at any level of quality you want, as well as various levels of hand making that can be delved into. Apparently pen making can be as involved as knife making, and my preliminary forays into that world suggest the economic margins are even better.

There are way more pen turners than knife makers.
I've always wanted to make some but I need another hobby like another hole in the head..

Back