My friend has Ebola

Travis Fry

If you've been following the news at all, you'll know that the largest outbreak of Ebola ever is occurring in various countries in West Africa. You've probably also seen that and American doctor, Dr. Kent Brantly, has contracted the deadly virus. His condition is currently described as "rapidly degenerating," though stable.

Kent Brantly is a friend of mine from seminary. We weren't super close (we both had well established social circles when we met, and thus no reason to become great friends at the time), but we shared an interest in African missions and had several classes together. I respected and liked him. I know a lot of his family members as well. All he ever wanted was to serve the sick in Africa, so after seminary he went to medical school, and eventually ended up in Liberia. Less than a year after his arrival, the Ebola outbreak began, and he was put in charge of treatment for one of the major treatment centers in the capital. Despite almost extraordinary efforts to avoid possible contamination, he eventually noticed symptoms in himself, placed himself in isolation, and has since tested positive for the virus.

Kent is a freaking hero, and he's in about the most dangerous situation imaginable. His odds are not good. He has a wife and 2 children, who were back in the States already on a short home leave. They are out of danger, but are likely scared spitless. I have been worried about his safety since the outbreak started, and everyone's worst nightmare is happening.

Please pray for Kent. I want my friend to live.

Sure thing, talk about putting your faith into action. Kent is a hero, we need more people like him. Hopefully he recovers.

Thanks for sharing...Really puts this situation at a personal level. I work in emergency medicine and do travel medicine for a large corporation. We never know if our ill patient has a common virus or something more sinister. The risks we take...I hope he pulls out of this. Fortunately, the strain involved only has a 60% fatality rate...I know that sounds bad, but other ebola strains are as high as 85-90% fatal.

Prayers sent!

As of yesterday he has improved slightly, so that's good, but he's by no means out of the woods yet. Also good news, this time around some clinics are achieving 75% survival simply by keeping folks on a saline drip and making sure they're well hydrated all the time. And I'm confident that while he may not be getting the best care in the world, he is getting the best possible care in Liberia.

Travis....i saw late yesterday that an un-named american aid worker that had contracted ebola was being transported home. Was that him?

Thanks,
Ted

Hey Travis,
Thanks for sending this out. I will be praying for for Kent's recovery and peace for his family.
- J

Ted,
Jason just sent me an update from Yahoo news that I hadn't seen. Apparently Kent and the other infected American, Nancy Whitebol, are both being evacuated. Thing is, the plane can only carry one of them at a time. Knowing something about the way Kent is, I'd bet he comes back second. Thanks for the prayers guys. He's still not out of the woods, but he's getting the best care available.

I just heard about Nancy Whitebol, I met her son Brian and his wife (They are both missionary's in Africa as well). Brian spoke at our church a couple times. If you guys don't mind adding her to your prayers. Sorry for the Hijack Travis

Travis,
I have been following through the news the condition of those two Americans in Liberia that contracted that horrible disease.
Both of these fine people have been in my thoughts and prayers.

You friend and that lady have a far more giving persona than I do to go to these possibly war torn and diseased countries. I wish them and all of the people infected with Ebola God's Speed in recovery!

Good news! Kent is scheduled to be released from the hospital soon (maybe today), and Nancy is being released from isolation as well. Looks like they're doing ok!

See, Prayers do work! I saw on news today where he was released, and he sure looked good on TV.

Ken H.

Yes!
I saw your pal smiling for the news cameras on the evening news. So glad he is walking out on his own power.
I hope the best for all of the poor souls in Africa. The news continued about how in some countries the infected are going without basic food & water etc because people are afraid to bring supplies into that area.

I heard on Klove this morning that he was being released. GOD blesses his faithful servants. Continued prayer for him and his family. He is a living miracle and testament to GODS limitless power.

Back