What's best grit to finish G10

Justin Presson

I have searched a bunch but can't find any consistent info. This is my first time using the material and I want to know what the best final grit to finish G10 to for a hunting knife?

Justin, finish it out to whatever suits your taste and needs. I've finished out to 800 AO grit by hand on my wife's EDC Leaf storm after replacing the original scales which chipped badly after a bad drop. At 800 it looked and felt fine to me so I stopped there.

Different grits give different looks. Just start progressing through the grits until you get the look you like. I usually go to 400X or 600X and buff with pink scratchless on a loose buff. Dwane is correct about the WD-40. If it looks dirty after you sand/buff just spray it with WD-40, wash with dish soap and water, & spray with WD-40 again. Repeat until you like the look.

Ok guys thanks for the help I just wanted to get the front of the scales done first and it is hard to tell how it will turn out with that small area.

You might want to try mineral oil instead of wd-40. I have wd-40 in my shop but never tried it. I tried mineral oil because it doesn't have any odor,
it came out nice so that's all I ever use.

I 2nd the mineral oil wipe. Sometimes the scales will start to get a little "dry" looking, a quick wipe with mineral oil brings back the original finish.

I usually go to around 600 or 800 as well and then buff.

Contrary to popular belief, slippery tool handles are NOT a good thing. 60 grit or sandblast provides friction and friction on a tool handle is a good thing. If you are making something other than a tool, polish the grip to your taste.

Back