Advice On Hardness Tester

Thanks for the replies on the + or - 1.5 variance. That makes total sense.....that they would give that big of a swing.....but the tester is actually much more accurate (precise?) than the disclaimer. CYA kinda thing.

thats an awesome timing for this thread and the video
i am expecting my HT oven anytime now
and started looking for hardness testers too
the price of Enco one seems good, problem is they don't ship international as far as i remember

i found this on ebay yesterday, any ideas? or will that be like the models reviewed in video?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PHR-2-S...758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f13bc33b6

That's the one I have. I'm happy with it and would recommend it. I would prefer a benchtop, but shipping was prohibitive for me.

thanks Warren

yeah thats the same issue for me too, lots of people liked the Enco, but i would probably end up paying double(at least) after shipping and customs

i will probably wait for Tracy's video, but so far leaning towards that one

Shipping quotes to Canada on similar items (bench top) were $450.00 to $600.00, not including brokerage. The Tx model was $25.00 to ship. It works quite well and seems quite accurate in the low to mid 60's.

This might be too obvious, but no local suppliers in Canada?
My problem is all the ones i asked here in Egypt gave me through the roof prices

I searched for months without luck. I e-mailed numerous places and called many others. I found out later there is a company in Vancouver who sells them, but shipping was still $300.00 when I called them, and they do not ship to residential addresses.

Grizzly.com has a bench top tester for 829.00 shipped. I am curious about the hardness files I have seen online. Has anyone tried these.

Grizzly.com has a bench top tester for 829.00 shipped. I am curious about the hardness files I have seen online. Has anyone tried these.

I have struggled with hardness files. I was hoping for something to give me a rough indication of edge hardness on things like a thick chopper where spine or handle hardness might not be a good indicator. I have been very disappointed in my ability to get good results out of them. I have also had friends try to get 'readings' on samples with known hardness - usually with results approaching random chance guessing. I have been told to practice more. I will, but my confidence in them is low.

Rob!

The video is done with edit. It runs 54 minutes and shows heat treating start to finish with plate quench, cryo and hardness testing.

We are adding bumper graphics now and should have it uploaded today. We will post it here in this thread and also start a new thread in our sub forum.

Darn Grizzly's hide - they did drop the price big time - I paid almost $200 more just a few months ago.

Ken H>

That is my luck too Ken. Just not this time. Thanks for the information on the files. I may try them out but I won't hold my breath on results.
Dave

Don't be afraid to check craiglist . I found a old school Japanese one with a bunch of test blocks fully equipped with all the weights and new diamond penetrator extra oil and a nice wooden box for everything for a $150 dollars . There was a machinists that was retiring in the area . Don Hanson gave me the idea and was surprised when I found it . Tests spot on and I find now that I have one it is a very critical tool in my shop .

Here is our video on Heat Treating. Pretty lengthy, just under 55 min. But, me personally being new to knife making when I came to work for Tracy at MKS, I learned a lot about heat treating while producing this video.

[video=youtube_share;b9Q_AobEfWE]http://youtu.be/b9Q_AobEfWE[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
just finished watching the video! thanks a lot for all the info, found some of it very helpful and shortened my research for HTing a bit
can't wait to try HTing my first blades on my brand new Evenheat oven :D

a question comes to mind tho, do the aluminum plates need to be the size of foil or larger? to rephrase i know i ought to have like an inch or two from all sides, but larger than the blade or the foil?

The plates do not have to be larger than the foil pouch.

just finished watching the video! thanks a lot for all the info, found some of it very helpful and shortened my research for HTing a bit
can't wait to try HTing my first blades on my brand new Evenheat oven :D

a question comes to mind tho, do the aluminum plates need to be the size of foil or larger? to rephrase i know i ought to have like an inch or two from all sides, but larger than the blade or the foil?

Back