Hello from MN

The name is Mike and I've become a bit obsessed with gaining more knowledge in making knives. Been using google to research and have found hundreds of theories on most subjects. After viewing some of the past threads on this forum it looks like a good place to hang out! Background includes woodworking, basic metalworking/welding, but new to knifemaking. Finding it addicting.

Welcome Mike where in MN are you from?? There are a lot of helpful and very talented people on this forum.

BossDog the owner of this forum and owner of Midwest Knife supply "USAKnifemaker.com" holds an annual hammer in, in North Mankato, MN at his shop it is the weekend of the Sept 12 13 14 if your interested contact Beth you can meet a lot of talented knife makers. Just throwing it out there

I was hoping the subject of the hammer in would come up. Just heard about it from a friends brother. Would consider it a privilege to attend at least part of this event and learn as much as possible. What's the best way to contact Beth? Thanks for the welcome!

507-720-6063 That is the number for Midwest knifemakers supply. Who ever answers the phone should be able to help you they are all great staff and very helpful. They also have a web site for all the supplies you need to get started. www.USAKnifemaker.com. I started the same way you did just by reading books watching videos on youtube and asking questions. I'm still new to knife making and I'm very fortunate to only live 15 miles from Midwest Knife maker supply they are more than helpful.

Thanks for the info arock - I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. Looks like I'll have to push the start of my bow season back 1 weekend but I'm sure it'll be worth it. I did order the Kevin Cashen DVD (through USA Knifemakers) yesterday regarding heat treating. Been having some issues with heat treating/tempering some 1095 that I need to figure out. The whole heat treat/temper/metallurgy part of knifemaking has been interesting to say the least.

Back