WIP The most EPIC kitchen knives ever! WIP

Hello. I am happy to have some progress photos to share. First up is the Hunter. to be followed by a 3 knife kitchen set.

Today I started on the mokume bolster and guard for the Hunter. and after getting it shaped and perfectly flat on the connecting faces. I started shaping filing and sanding. Here are a few photos of the butt cap in progress and then a picture of the guard and butt cap when I called it a night!

Humble beginnings. Note how I precisely set up and marked my piece.

After much more file work I was here. And starting to question if I made the right call to do this sort of thing on the butt cap!

A hour or so later. I added some secondary cuts to help accent the round cuts!

Just in case anyone wanted to know. I am using a round @@@@@@@ file. and a triangle flat file on this. Paired with sand paper. and elbow grease.

At this point. I was still not feeling it. So I started rounding the edges. and added a hole in the center. Took it to the buffer and I went from Not sure I liked it to. WOW. I am loving where this is going!!

Time to put it with the guard and handle to see how they look together.

_MG_0336800x533.jpg

Next will be final fitting and finishing on the handle pieces. Then etching the mokume to make it POP!!! Etch and apply makers mark to the blade. and final assembly!

Thanks for checking out the WIP comments or questions welcomed.
Randy

I have yet to even finish the hunter and Im already thinking about the 3 chef knives!!

Someone asked about the ivory! And I took it out and made a final choice for the 3 kitchen knives.

Black walrus ivory! Just as rare as a diamond and even more beautiful!!!

The handles on the kitchen knives will be a frame style . This means the front bolsters and butt cap will be connected using a separate piece of something (have not decided exactly what im using there yet.) Essentially making a frame that secures everything together and gives me a base to use scales rather then a block of material. Then there will be ivory scales attached to this and to one another.
smile.gif

Ill show pictures when I get there. Until then check out this amazing ivory!!

Attachments

• _MG_0297 (800x533).jpg
    _MG_0297 (800x533).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 67
  • _MG_0305 (800x533).jpg
    _MG_0305 (800x533).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 72
Can't wait for this to move forward now, nice build up guys. I'm biting my fingersnails waiting for the next episode! Cool stuff.

Wayne

So after getting all the pieces to final fit, and polished . I tested forced patinas. and came up with a look I an very happy with. Here are the photos proir to final glue up and assembly.

Randy - that butt cap...... WOW!!!! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! Of course, it's just your usual standards - HIGH!!!

Ken H>

Ken, Thanks for the complement. This was and does represent alot of firsts for me and Jr. This was the first time we forged mokume with any other materials then quarters. First time I attempted to do a scalloped butt cap. And to be perfectly honest/ The Gold and silver was a bit intimidating!

I couldnt be much happier with this hunter and I look forward to starting on the 3 kitchen knives that will follow shortly.

OK so some not to good Images of the finished knife. :)

Ill try again tomorrow to get some good pictures!
attachment.php

Attachments

• _MG_0429.jpg
    _MG_0429.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 338
Man that turned out beautifully! I hope you show just as much, if not more progress pics on each of those 3 kitchen knives! :cool:

I have a question if you don't mind. How well of an edge does the 304 SS make/take? I don't think I've ever seen it used for the cutting edge, although I have seen san mai blades with it mixed in with the jacket material. I don't know really anything about austenitic or martensitic SS, not to mention when one or the other is mixed in a billet of damascus with another SS known for making great blades like the AEB-L you used, so this is honesly a question due to my ignorance, and NOT a quesion regarding the quality of your knives! :23: I would never! :58: ... lol Anyway, thanks a bunch for taking the time and effort to share this with us, can't wait for then next batch of pics :cool:

Grace be with you my brother! :)

Last edited:
Love it ! Randy what did you finally use to patena the mokume ?

I used a thing called Liver of surfer. Its something Lisa used to patina Jewelry. so I gave it a try and dang it. It worked beter then anything else I had tried./ and is fairly permanent. Which in this application is important. :)

Thanks and God Bless

Man that turned out beautifully! I hope you show just as much, if not more progress pics on each of those 3 kitchen knives! :cool:

I have a question if you don't mind. How well of an edge does the 304 SS make/take? I don't think I've ever seen it used for the cutting edge, although I have seen san mai blades with it mixed in with the jacket material. I don't know really anything about austenitic or martensitic SS, not to mention when one or the other is mixed in a billet of damascus with another SS known for making great blades like the AEB-L you used, so this is honesly a question due to my ignorance, and NOT a quesion regarding the quality of your knives! :23: I would never! :58: ... lol Anyway, thanks a bunch for taking the time and effort to share this with us, can't wait for then next batch of pics :cool:

Grace be with you my brother! :)

Thanks and God Bless Ya! thats a great question. And without going into it to far here is a great answer! :D

The 304 is a common stainless used in "stainless damascus" It does not harden to the level of other stainless steels. Yet we use a small amount of it. under 10% by weight in the billet. I find that the edge on my stainless is a toothy edge. that cuts amazing. and in some ways better then a mono steel AEB-L knife might. For cutting proteins and meats. skinning a bear, and or cutting your sandwich at deer camp. The mix will and does work well! Also. I have found that the edge when properly heat treated and with proper geometry for the cutting task. Outlasts many carbon mono steels.

Last edited:
While the whole knife is a true piece of art done by a true artist, that butt cap just blows me away!!!!

Ken H>

Back