finish on brw micarta

franklin

Hey guys been trying different ways to finish canvas micarta don't want shiny but don't want that dull whitish look it gets when
dried out either. How are you guys finishing yours? here is the knife its on with a light coat of oil but we now that wont last.

Attachments

• 100_5191.jpg
    100_5191.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 40
Nice Knife

A lot of Guys Bead Blast the Micarta/G10 for a Flat finish. It adds grip as well

Thanks Stabber,Where do you get that done? And if you do your self what do you need to do that with?

I finish Micarta 2 different ways. If I want it polished I go to 600X and buff with pink scratchless on a loose buff. If I want a textured finish I sand to 60X-80X and spray it with WD-40, wash thoroughly with soapy water, & spray it with WD-40 again. Sometimes I have to repeat that another time or two to get the look I want.
As far as bead blasting, you need an air compressor, a blasting cabinet, & some glass beads. You may find a body shop, machine shop, or gunsmith that may blast it for you. Another plus is that most people who work in those places find knifemaking interesting and may even buy or order something from you.

Thanks Darrin the 60x and wd 40 sounds like something i could try right off the bat. Will get back to you on that one mon.

Back