Curving plunge lines help

dereklee12

I have seen these amazing curved plunge lines that are great looking but I have no idea how to go about getting them. I can only do straight lines. Any help would be much appreciated. I hope its easier than start a small plunge and slowly work it closer and closer to the tip of the blade until you have a curve. Thanks guys

Derek Lee

I start at the point and grind to the ricaso. Then use a magnet to flat grind the blade. It just gives me the curve. I refine (balance the sides), matching each side when hand sanding my final finish. Once shown this method it has become quite simple.

rps20140713_000239.jpg

I think I know what you mean. Plunge lines that are long sweeping arcs right?

I have played around with that and I personally didn't get results I was happy with, plus I personally don't care for the look. But I DO know how it's done.

You have to hang your belt over the edge of your platen..............a lot while you're grinding your blade. Like your belt will be maybe 1/2" past your platen. Same on each side. You have to track your belt way off to get it to curve like that. The more you hang the belt over, the more sweep or curve you'll get in your plunge, very generally speaking. A good medium weight belt is what you want, I think. Not too stiff and not too flimsy.

You may try contacting Matt Bailey or Ryan Weeks if you want some pointers as those two guys excel at them.

Do you mean like this? I have watched Jim do it 100 times. Amazing how he gats that much of a Curve. Kinda his Signature Plunge line. DSCN1251.jpg

There is an article about Siska in the current Knives Illustrated magazine. I was noticing this morning about the curved plunges.

Stabber- does he do it the same way- by hanging the belt of the edge of the platen? Generally speaking of course, not asking you to give away any secrets. :)

There may indeed be other ways to accomplish it. Hanging the belt over the platen is the way I know.

Thats exactly the look I am talking about stabber. For certain knives I think they just really bring something more to the blade. thanks for the help guys!

Derek Lee

John, They are ground on a 10 inch wheel. Jim Angles the Blank tip upward and somehow gets that Curved plunge.

I need to get that magazine. I went up to Jim Coopers house to Meet Jim Siska with a few of my Siska knives. They picked a few out for that Article.

Your welcome Derek. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it with practice.

Stabber, as many Siska knives as you have did Jim buy you dinner or a new car?

I've witnessed Jim do this at least ten times and still haven't managed to do it myself. Not an easy thing to achieve, although he doesn't even look like he's paying attention when he's grinding. Truly a giant at the grinder!

hahaha, Jim Takes care of me for sure!

BTW, If someone has the Knives Illustrated with Jim's article in it I would buy it when your done Please

Last edited:
Back