Thoughts on AEB-L for kitchen knives

pairomedicsfish

Can I get a consensus on wether AEB-L is or is not liked for kitchen knives and fillet knives? Also, any one have some input on heat treating this steel using a forced air propane forge?

AEBL is my favorite Stainless for kitchen knives. When heat treated correctly, its is very hard to match, let alone beat in the kitchen. I'd forget about using the forge and just send it out and rest assured that it was done right.

Send it to Paul Bos HTing. Go to http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=bio.paulBos

There are two HTing services by men with the name Paul Bos. You want the one associated with Buck knives.

You can send one or a 100or more blades. I usually send a batch of 40-50 and get them back in about 15-20 days.

There is no better Heat Treating available for stainless & tool steel blades.

I got two kitchen knives with AEB-L in the process of being made right now. The best part is that it is actually cheaper than 440C despite being a "premium" stainless.

Be sure to have it hardened to HRC 62-62.5 because that's where it really shines. Properly heat treated to that hardness, with the right geometry it makes excellent kitchen cutlery.

No to take anything away from Paul Boss, He does fine work, but I have been using Peters Heat Treating with Amazing results!

Gob Bless
Mike

Alpha knife supply is a good source. They have AEB-L, 13C26, and 14C28N - all are in different thickness ranges. Just pick the thickness you wish and use any of them. I like 14C28N, per Sandvik it's improved over 13C26, and the cost of any of those is very reasonable. All heat treat about the same, and any will make a GREAT blade. the addition of nitrogen is said to make 14C28N more corrosion resistance, but I can't see any problem with corrosion with any of them.

Ken H>

Back