Finishing DewCarta

Roughed at 36, then 80, 220 to smooth, and a slightly worn 400 grit J-flex, and a buff with white diamond.

Photos taken on an mostly cloudy day, natural light, no editing or enhancements.

Spine shot

Off side

Last edited:
thanks pierreR your knife looks great, we put it on the fb page. I found the problem with Darrin's resin pocket after talking to him and it is my fault, I send my scales to USA knife works in 5.5 in lengths with 5. of usable material , Ive always trimmed the front at the ricaso sanded and buffed on my knives. When this stuff comes out of the molds its flat and shiney on the ends ,looks finished but it needs to be trimmed back a quarter of an inch. In the future I will trim these before sending them out. this was something I took for granted and after talking to the Bossdog yesterday, he said he would have done the same thing Darrin did just put them on and go. Im sending Darrin a new set of scales and Im glad to have talked with him and found the problem. I cant fix it if I don't know what's broke so thanks to Darrin for filling in the blanks. I will be incressing the molds to 6 inches with 5.5 usable material for the guys who don't use bolsters.

Guy's here is my last attempt , a CA glue treatment sand to 1000 , clean ,clean and clean , buff and what do you think , I'm lost at this point.IMG_3616.jpg

Hey Dewey,

From what you've described I might have a similar issue. I just wanted to see what you think before I attempt to epoxy them up next weekend....

One of the ends on both scales seem to be chipped up pretty good and I can see where there is some material missing (pocket) on the outside of one of the sides. I assumed before reading this that I would just flip them around and use the other end because I think I have enough room so that the missing material won't affect anything. Is this what you are describing above? If you need, I can try and get a pic of it later today. Just figured I'd ask before I got around to shaping next weekend and had a "what the.." sort of moment.

N.N. thanks for giving me the heads up, is it in the end like ricaso end or but end or in the side, how long is your handle these scales are 5.5 and need to be trimmed a quarter of an inch your going to end up with five inches minimum of usable material. In the future the scales will be trimmed to there longest length. when the material goes in the molds and then in the hydraulic press it shifts due to the mold its about an 1/8 this is why I left them long. N.N. if you can get me a picture, and ill look and respond as soon as possible.

Sure thing, I'll get a pic and post it up later today/tonight. As I said, I didn't think much of it and didn't even measure it or compare it to the tang. I just assumed I would sand past it in final shaping, and I still might. I just figured I would get your opinion first. Give me a few hours and I'll get a pic up as soon as possible.

2014-07-21_18-18-37_173.jpg2014-07-21_18-19-07_542.jpg2014-07-21_18-20-03_762.jpg

here's the pics Dewey...

I can see the ends that I need to remove that are only the epoxy/resin, about 1/8 off each end needs to be removed. It leaves just enough room for the tang if I'm careful. I don't know though, i'm kinda thinking about going a different direction with this one.

However, that's not what I'm concerned about. in the first 2 pics, you can see the indentation in the material, a "pocket" sort of. What I'm concerned about is this going any deeper in the material.

Last edited:
That should not have left my shop, but it did so all I can do is make it right. Call me and I will send you new ones. 239-253-1410

Thanks Dewey! I've already got a buyer for the knife I'm gonna make with them.

Back