friction folder questions

remist17

I decided to start with a friction folder as my first pocket knife. Need some pointers please
Question 1: Is there a length of the blade stop needs to be (the end of the bade that comes in contact with your thumb)
I understand there is a pivot and stop pins and the knife rests on the stop pin. Im hoping to limit the length of the knife to sit on the stop pin. I hope that makes since.

Also are there any plans out there?

Last edited:
Also would like to know which hole when your drilling the blade is forward. I understand you drill your pivot hole and then two holes next to it. One is for the stop. I am thinking the other hole is used when you cut the blade and this is the location of the pin stop in closed position and the one that is forward.

Last edited:
I wish I was more help hopefully someone will come along. I just recently started tinkering with a FF myself and I made a template out of cereal box cardboard and started tinkering with it to try and figure out pin placement and it is a bit frustrating I think I have a pattern now and going to try and put it on material this week. Sorry I'm not much help.
I put a tack on the two pieces of cardboard where I thought the pivot pin should go then keep opening and closing it to get things aligned and stop pin placement.

Last edited:
I have made 1 Friction folder , it is very basic , I will bring it in from the shop and post a few pix's.

Guys thank you for posting. I figure I would start simple first. I start a line lock and found out it was above my skill level at this time. Once I get a friction done ill move to a slip folder and so on. My main concern on friction knives is the thumb portion of the blade and the length it needs to be.

Hi remist17. I'm going to follow this because I've really wanted to attempt a folder as well and I've probably got a few of the same concerns. I might start another thread about it later, but my biggest concern from my research is how to line everything up...or more so, looking at the options of pins, pivots, screws, etc., what works with which parts and such?

Im going to just wing it this weekend and see what I come up with. Seems I must have upset some of the senior guys. thanks to all who posted and provided their input.
i appreciate it !

Tim

Tim you haven't upset anyone. Ask all the questions you want and we will try to answers them. Sometime they get answered quicker than others.

Part of knife making is the nature to be inquisitive and try things out. The first few folders I make I asked a lot of questions and now I have the confidence to try new things on my own. Sometimes they work out sometimes they don't . Either way I learn a lot

Erik

I am tinkering with a friction folder at the moment as well, so this is interesting to me. So far I have profiled the blade and drilled a pivot hole. I have to figure out stops and stuff like that still.

Well I did some work on the knife. I found out that I made the liners to large and the knife blade is totally behind them when the close. I think everything else now fits OK. I still have a lot of sanding and polishing to complete and heat treatment. I am still not sure the location of the stop pin but I figure once the liners are reworked I can look into this. I also had to shorten the length of the blade as it was way to long. Not sure what happened there as I actually used a compass and graph paper to layout the knife. I also made a cardboard replica and it worked. The metal must have grew ! :nothing:

Nice man!! I worked on mine a bunch last week. I feel like i have had it apart and together a hundred times.Here is a picture i still have to finish the bevel on the blade and heat treat but i have been carrying it the last few days to see how it feels and if i need to make any tweaks

pavy8ynu.jpg

qumejy7u.jpg

N.N the pivot is a 3/16 stainless pivot with torx head and the other is a 1/8 stainless pivot I used for the stop pin. When I get home I can get you more detailed info on them if you need it. I had to shorten both quite a hit but it wasn't bad. Then the back spacer is just held in with 1/8 black micarta rod

Justin Nice knife! Further than mine. if you open it up again would you mind sending a photo or two to me? This design is next on my list.

Remist17 I completely spaced and just sent you some pictures of the knife you mean when I take it apart. I will here soon

I am working on one now myself, I found some good tutorials by putting "friction folder tutorials" in a Google search, I like the one on Britishblades.com. Mine is still in the drafting stage.
Take care,
Clint

Back