Wheeler Inspired small fixed blade

Brian.Evans

Nick Wheeler made a small paring knife the other day, which was the inspiration for this pattern. It's about 5 3/4" oal, .080" stock. The steel is belt finished 52100, curly maple scales with brass pins and an oil and varnish finish. Heat treat by Darrin Sanders to 62 rockwell.

I can't wait to make another of these. It is about the perfect size for front pocket carry, or low profile belt carry. I need a sheath made now, but I'm not sure how I want to carry it.

I think the next one I'm going to do in a stainless of some sort with elephant or mammoth ivory.

Anyway, here are some pictures. As always, comments and suggestions are welcome. These are the first pictures I've ever tried with a light box. It is just a hacked together thing, but I'm going to make a much better one for the next time I take pictures.

20140713_214602.jpg

20140713_215200.jpg

20140713_220253.jpg

20140713_215307.jpg

20140713_220440.jpg

20140713_220425.jpg

I just love that handle! Something about curly maple that just makes me want to pick it up. Nice little knife. Horizontal front belt carry would do it for me!

Turned out nice Brian. Did you weigh it? I'm guessing 3 oz. or less. You should post a spine shot to show how thin the tang is.
I didn't even think about weighing it. I'll have to do that. I think I took a spine shot. I'll have to look through my pictures. Great job on ht, by the way. Spot on sir. It is looking like I'll have at least two more to send you though. Apparently other people like it too. :)

Darrin, I weighed it this morning. 0.9 oz. This thing is super light, and makes feather sticks like no other. I got bored at the park......

Whoa! Less than an oz., I knew the blade itself was super light but didn't know how much the scales, pins, & epoxy would add. I think you should call it the "Sharpfeather" LOL.

Clean design. The pins appear to be partially flared/peened - if so, that's another plus.

Love it! I'm a big fan of Mr. Wheeler.
I am too, but I'm a fan of his work ethic and his attention to detail. His stellar knives are just the result of his insane attention to detail. He'd be as good making pipes, gardening, or fixing cars, if he were so inclined.
Clean design. The pins appear to be partially flared/peened - if so, that's another plus.
They are. Good eye. I'd like to talk to you about some stuff sometime if you don't mind. More business than knives.
Whoa! Less than an oz., I knew the blade itself was super light but didn't know how much the scales, pins, & epoxy would add. I think you should call it the "Sharpfeather" LOL.
Yeah, it floored me when it came up. I weighed it four times! Lol.

Back