What is a good quality steel anvil for forging hot metal into shape?

ome

Hi guys,

I am just about ready to make a purchase of two propane gas forges and I'm looking for let's say under 60 to 70 pounds so to be portable. Now I just realized that my animal is cast-iron so I really don't want to ruin it by using it for HoTMetaL. So my question is, what would be a really good quality and level to consider I'm going to have to keep it outside as my forging in blacksmithing practice will be all outside.
Should I look for a lightweight let's say 100 - 140 pounds that could be shipped easily by FedEx or just consider something that would be in the 3 to 400 pound range and except the freight charges on them. going to definitely buy new so I'm not really looking for a used anvil.
I also could use just a really quick list of minimum supplies for tools rather what I would need for the Hardy Hall am just basic across peanut hammer I know would be one purchase and really just what I need to get started in the basics thanks so much, I appreciate all the help that you guys have given me.
Thanks,
Jon

If you are looking for an anvil to forge blades on look for a block of steel that has a face 4X4 to 4X6, or there abouts and maybe 6-8" long. I have something like that that's 87 lbs and it will move steel better than my 110 lb Ebay special by long mark. There are other things that can be used to hold a hardy tool or substitute for a hardy tool. If you really want something like an English pattern anvil give Old World Anvils a look.

Doug

I'm looking at this one as my next anvil:

http://bigbluhammer.com/hand-tools/anvils/blacksmith-anvil

Not quite 300# but should work. Just cover it with a tarp when your not using it. I do believe that bigger is better in the case of an anvil. Unless you are only making baby knives. Get about 50x larger than the biggest hammer you will be using. That for me when I started was a 2 pound hammer = 100 lb anvil. Today I have a couple of just over 5 pound hammers!

I'm looking at this one as my next anvil:

http://bigbluhammer.com/hand-tools/anvils/blacksmith-anvil

Not quite 300# but should work. Just cover it with a tarp when your not using it. I do believe that bigger is better in the case of an anvil. Unless you are only making baby knives. Get about 50x larger than the biggest hammer you will be using. That for me when I started was a 2 pound hammer = 100 lb anvil. Today I have a couple of just over 5 pound hammers!
Thanks everyone,
I prefer the anvils that have the hardy hole at the round horn.
I like the peddinghaus and nimba.
Are there any others to consider?
thanks,
jon

Back