Bandsaw question

I doubt it. It looks like 300 FPM is the lowest setting and that not quite low enough for cutting metal. I run mine at 78 FPM. Even if you could slow it down enough you probably couldn't find good Bi-Metal blades which is just a s important as speed. However, if it runs and tracks good it would be great for cutting out handle material.

Thanks Darrin that is what I did not know is how slow I actually need to go. I will keep looking I might still go the cheap Harbor freight Porta band and modify it up right.

I have that bandsaw. It definitely does not go slow enough to cut metal and blade selection like Darrin said is not great. The blade on mine doesn't run very true and makes anything other than rough cutting impossible. I mainly use it for friction cutting titanium. I'd hold out for a different saw. For another 20 bucks or so you could grab the hf Porta band.

I purchased a dewalt portaband on ebay for a total of $120 and a swag table for $120, but you can buy a lesser one for $50. That is a total of $170 to $240 and you could probably find a cheaper bandsaw on craigs. It has been one of my best investments in a long time.

DeWalt Portaband is a good tool. Swag offroad sells an accessory for it that will serve your needs very well.

677709d1339443771-milwaukee-porta-band-vertical-band-saw-mounting-plate-p5190078-1.jpg

Going to have to say my portaband and swag table is one of my most used tools in the shop. The best thing about it is that it cuts true . I have a Milwaukee variable speed on it and it gets used for handles and for cutting pins. I profile all the easy cuts before heading to the grinder. Switches over to wood blade in less than a minute and you can rip blocks in half . Etc . Love it !

Back