Help with m390/cpm20cv, grinding and general advice needed.

Brian.Evans

I've a customer who wants a small necker in m390. Just to verify, I've seen m390 called cpm20v, but usaknifemaker has cpm20cv. They are the same, right? I'd assume so, but you know what happens when you assume.

The stock is 0.093", and I'm assuming a pain to grind. I'm also assuming, given this steel's abrasion resistance that any finishing after ht is going to be almost nil. I'm planning on taking the bevels down to almost ready to sharpen before heat treat, then basic 240 belt finish afterwards. Does that sound about right? As much as I like hand rubbed finishes, I also like not beating my into a wall for no good reason.

Has anyone used Peter's for this steel? I'm not sure where to send it? Any secrets I should know about it? I'll give Brad a call and ask him too, but I thought maybe you guys could save me some time.

Anyway, I think that's it. I'm sure I'll have more questions later

Hey Brian, you are correct, B/U M390 & CPM 20CV are basically the same thing. Don't worry about finishing this stuff, its not hard at all. Basically like CPM 154 as far as finishing. I was worried about finishing it too and when I started grinding it after H/T I was worried that it didn't get hard. I hit it on the tester a few times and the numbers were right on. I have a test knife that I've been EDC'ing for a few weeks now and its still as sharp as it was on day one. Appears to be good stuff and the ease of finishing is a big + for a highly abrasion resistant SS.
I don't have LN and this stuff requires it so I sent it to Brad. He did a great job, as usual. Tell him you wanna run it at 62-63 and you'll be good to go for a necker.

BTW, your blades will go out tomorrow. I missed the mailman this morning. OOPS!

Thanks Darrin. That's good to know. Eases my mind more than a little bit. I need to drop you another $20 in the mail, I forgot over the weekend with work and everything.

Btw, did that small tapered tang necker warp at all? That was a mistake becoming a feature kind of instance......

I sure like the M390. It works easy and finishes very well. The edge holding seems to be very good possibly because it will take 62, 63 RC without adverse effects. Frank

Back