$1000 budget grinder for part timer

Justin Presson

I don't see this bug of knifemaking going away so I need to get a real grinder and like the title says I want to stay around 1k.
I really don't want to mess with building one I would rather buy one and build knives.
I have researched googled and read a bunch on here and bladefourms about different ones. Here is kind of what I'm thinking. The two I'm stuck on is the pheer 427 1 hp with VFD and the other is the wilmont LB 1000 1.5hp but fixed speed. To me the wilmont looks better built but I think not having the variable speed I will regret. I would be happy with a LB1000 with the 1 hp and vfd off the pheer.
So what ya think fellas. I would love to here from guys who own the two models I'm considering. And if I missed some in my price range fill me in.

Thanks for the help I know there are a ton of threads about this stuff but hey we all like talking tools ;)

Justin

I'v only had my grinder a couple weeks but I would say variable speed is a must. Also consider that a "hobby" like knife making is very time consuming. That means other hobbies have got to go. Which also means gear from other hobbies can be sold to fund new knife making equipment.....lol.

Justin, My first that I purchased 15 years ago and that I still have is a 8" wheel 2 x 72" Get one of these, Find an 1 -2hp motor, or buy it from Norman. two step pulleys, some link belt and you will be a grinding fool with a real big boy grinder. This gives you an adjustable speed that will work fine until you can sell enough knives to make it variable or buy a second machine.

Norman Coote is a great man to work with and will walk you through the set-up and I will gladly do the same as well as tell you a few tricks I learned on how to maximize this grinder.
www.cootebeltgrinder.com

Last edited:
Hunting isn't a hobby any more than brushing your teeth or breathing is. It's something you do and it feels bad when you can't. Does your wife have hobbies? Maybe you could sell her gear......

Hunting isn't a hobby any more than brushing your teeth or breathing is. It's something you do and it feels bad when you can't. Does your wife have hobbies? Maybe you could sell her gear......

that's a brilliant idea!

You guys crack me up. Yes I love hunting and will never give it up and I would like to stay married so no selling the wife's stuff....she don't have nothing good anyways :)

I know that you said that you did not want to build a grinder but you can get the Moe's Grinder built for close to that amount and have a high quality VFD and motor and a very versatile grinder. Watch the videos on my web-site. This grinder is very simple to build and can be very quickly and easily.

Let me know if I can help you.

i have a LB1000. easy to assemble. small footprint. easy belt change. uses 1 1/2" tooling arms for you have many options, including DIY> see if they will give you a 4" drive wheel which will give lower belt speed. search the internet and find a 3/4hp motor and vfd, should be able to find that for less than $300 which would put you at $1100.

i have a LB1000. easy to assemble. small footprint. easy belt change. uses 1 1/2" tooling arms for you have many options, including DIY> see if they will give you a 4" drive wheel which will give lower belt speed. search the internet and find a 3/4hp motor and vfd, should be able to find that for less than $300 which would put you at $1100.
Is that what you did? I was thinking about getting the LB with no motor and fitting it with one as an option.

I have the basic phere 1 hp VFD unit. Two plus years and still going strong. Chris' unit is great also. You really need a VFD. It makes life much easier. I currently feel the need for a 2 hp after using one. It will probably be the larger Wilmont. Buy the most you can for the money you have that will make your job easier.

I have the basic phere 1 hp VFD unit. Two plus years and still going strong. Chris' unit is great also. You really need a VFD. It makes life much easier. I currently feel the need for a 2 hp after using one. It will probably be the larger Wilmont. Buy the most you can for the money you have that will make your job easier.
That's the one I'm thinking about. I think the vfd from the start is what I need too.

i just got a bubble jig this week , amazing gadget huh ! i love it .. a gent i sent one of my big pig stickers with burl handle to in the US sent me one back , i have a slight tremor in my right arm and hand unless i put pressure on it so these hollow grind attachments remove the issue for me , i've a radius master ( being Aussie made and trying to buy Australian first or allies if i cant get things here but looking for a small setup to dedicate as a hollow grind unit to allow me to keep the radius master free to do my main grinding and work on , and your little unit look just the thing for it , the hollow gring unit on the RM is a dedicated unit and its mounts i cant see fitting without a lot of work and effort to get right , i'll contact jantz and chase them up next week and get a good pic of how they mount and if suitable will get a friend to arrange to contact you and sort out what we can do

Back