School me on leather strops

Justin Presson

Hey guys,
I need a lesson on leather strops. I have never used one and I hear a lot of talk like hand stopped to a mirror polish and after some use a few strops on the leather and it is back to razor sharp. My questions are what grit do you go to before you strop, can I make one out of the veg tan leather I'm using for sheaths, what compound to use and what techniques. Currently I us a Lansky to put the final edge on the knives I'm making...which is slow but consistent. I go to a 600 grit stone creating a burr and all that and seems to put a great edge on a blade for me but I like the idea of telling people there knife has been hand stropped.
Any help is appreciated.
Justin

Yes sir that is what Mama use to call it, "going to school" when she got out the razor strap, you paid strict attention to what she was saying!:biggrin:

Seriously, a strop is too me can be a final step in the sharpening, however it is really meant as maintenance! Back in the day when barbers used to do a lot of shaves, the strop or razor strap was a way to quickly bring that razor edge back up! A good barber knew the minute the blade was beginning to drag and would reach for his strap to give it a quick few passes. It is kind of like grabbing a steele when the butcher knife is not carving the meat like it should!

It is kind of like the theory of stepping down in grit on the stone. If you could look at your blade under a microscope, when it gets as sharp as you can make it there will be still a little wire edge, the strop knocks that down and that is what gives it the razor's edge. It sounds really cool in the description but depending on the knife and the operation you want to perform with it, the strop may or may not be necessary or useful! IMO

Last edited:
Justin - I don't really have any more knowledge than you do, but thought I'd reply since there have been no other responses. Not sure why no response - I suspect a lot of folks look at the "new posts", and it got rolled off the screen too fast.

I'm no expert by any means - BUT- here goes my meager bit of experience.

Yep, veg tanned leather will work. Leather is for putting the final "edge" on a blade. For years I used anything from a leather belt (seldom) to side of my shoe to the final touch-up. Now I mostly use a leather wheel on my Tormex. Tormex has a diamond paste to lightly coat the leather with that does a very good job. I suspect you could take this same diamond paste on a leather strop with good effect. This paste is Tormek Honing Compound Item #TOR-PA70 and is available at many places. Amazon has it for $12.50 with free shipping. Other places have it for less money, but would require shipping.

There is a leather belt available for the 2X72 grinder that would do a good job I'm sure, but never purchased one.

Good luck and have a "sharp" day:)

Ken H>

Thanks Ken for the info and reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to reply:D
I tried to do some Google research but wanted the info from some people I know have good experience.

Justin,

To Me a strop is used to get that wire off the final edge and to polish it and realign the edge as C Craft noted.

There are many combos of grits and strops and compounds etc. I've gotten great results with just the leather. The Shavings create a grit on the leather, i've also used some Green Chrome rouge from the buffer.

Most of the time I sharpen to 600 for German/Americana chefs knives and 2000 grit for Japanese or my own knives and use the Green on the buffer to remove that final burr and polish it with excellent results.

So there really aren't any rules here. Start stropping and find what you are happy with.

Thanks Laurence. Am I just wanting to keep the same angle as I sharpened on the Lansky on the strop.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Justin - the leather strop doesn't really change the angle any - not really a metal remover, just knock the burr down a tad.... and only a small burr at that. As they've said, just the final step in sharpening - and might or might not be required.

Mr Craft - you posted while I was writing and I didn't see your post. I started a bit before 8am, then wife hollered "Breakfast", so I finished up later and never saw you'd posted.

Ken H>

As Ken,
Just said, stropping doesn't change your angle, When sharpening, you want to create a burr or wire on the edge or you haven't sharpened it. Then you can strop, buff, or use the end grain of a piece of wood to remove the burr. Stroppijng also polishes the edge.

I had a buddy that would strop on his jeans right on his leg! I thought it was a little nutty, but it worked.

Ok guys I think I'm getting it all I just didn't want to round off my edge and dull it or something I will make one and play around with it. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Back