Grinding jig Tutorial

very similar to what I use, I just didn't think of notching it out and installing the hardened plunge guide. Great ideas.

Great idea installing the plunge vise... if the slot is machined with tight tolerance to the vise would help, when positioning for the reverse side, to keep the exact same angle without any tilting

Just a update,Stezann I did tighten thing up a while back.I always indexed my file guide to the same side but from the begining I wanted a tight fit.I took my jig and after squaring some aluminum stock I faced it and now my guide fits tight with perfect 90 deg per side.

Attachments

• IMAG0704.jpg
    IMAG0704.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0705.jpg
    IMAG0705.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 63
It is so Ironic that I found this today. The guy who taught me to make knives and I were talking about making a jig to get our flats higher, but we couldn't for the life of us put together a good concept. We have been using a 2x4 with a lag bolt and bar clamp and we stacked washers to increase the angle but it would not give us a very high flat. This is perfect. My only questions are what size angle iron and what kind of hardware did you use on the file guide.

I'm not at home at the moment but I think it was 3x3 aluminum angle and the file guide was 01.I don't run right up against the guide but close.I scribe a line on top of the edge of the blade for my plunge .

Back