Hydra flipper- WIP

lerman

Hello, there are alot of firsts for me in this project, it's my first flipper, my first bolster lock, my second liner lock made and my first time instaling ball bearings on a knife, i'm still not sure if i'll even be able to make it all work,

this is going to be a very long WIP, I'll only work on it in between order so it might take awhile to complete (if i'll manage to complete it)

started with 6mm thick Ti, i first bored the bearing pivot screw pockets

then i thined the liner part to 1.8mm

cutting the lock bar

blade is cut

fitting the marble CF scaled and back spacer

thanks for looking

Last edited:
Lee,
Very very cool! Thanks for taking all the time needed for this one. Folders are always a challenge for us. I like your style and designs.

Last edited:
thanks guys, throughout the whole process of making this knife i have a voice in the back of my head talling me that i took on myself something that i'm not ready to do yet, i might have screwd one marble CF scale today i'll see if i can save it tomorrow.

marble carbon fiber pivot washer

chamfering the back spacer

chamfering the inside of the handles

usualy when i start working on a knife i have every little part of the process in my head, no room for luck, on this project it felt like i had allot of wishfull thinking and just hoped things will work the way i imagined them, well that didn't happen :)

to my surprise it was not the mechanism as i would have expected, it was the shaping of the handles, i tried for the first time using 10mm diameter round burr on the pin machining method to make corners with an inside radius, i use it alot with a 45 degrees burr but never with a round burr, any way the edges of the radiused corners didn't meet as good as i had wanted, not in a sharp
crisp line, also cleaning the marks left from the burr without ruining the corners is just impossible.

so this one is not going to be for sale, just a prototype, and i finally can keep one to myself!

and for the more positive side, the lock works great, it's my first time getting a liner lock to work as it should, it would be nice if it was a bit earlier lockup but still fine, also it's a bit sticky but i hope to carbidize it as soon as i get my anodizing/carbidizing setup ready

these are not the final pics, the blade still needs to be heat treated it also needs to be stonewashed to a finer finish and the scale screws need to be repalced

click the pic for a video

Back